From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] NCC says use of torture is 'unacceptable'

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:04:59 -0600

Note #9018 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05608
Nov. 10, 2005

NCC says use of torture 'unacceptable'

Council and Church World Service support
Senate bill, term opposition 'abhorrent'

by Leslie Tune and Philip Jenks
NCC News and Information

HUNT VALLEY, MD - The General Assembly of the National Council of Churches
USA (NCC) and Church World Service commended the U.S. Senate for
"anti-torture provisions" in the 2006 Defense Appropriations bill.

But as the House of Representatives begins debate on the bill, some
high-ranking U.S. government officials have declined to support the
provisions.

"As delegates to the General Assembly of the National Council of
Churches USA and Church World Service, we find any and all use of torture
unacceptable and contrary to U.S. and international legal norms," the
delegates said.

The NCC Assembly is meeting here this week.

"We find it particularly abhorrent that our nation's lawmakers would
fail to approve the pending legislation disavowing the use of torture by any
entity on behalf of the United States government," the statement said.

"Torture, regardless of circumstance, humiliates and debases torturer
and tortured alike," the General Assembly declared by unanimous vote.
"Torture turns its face against the Biblical truth that all humans are
created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-27). It denies the preciousness of
human life and the dignity of every human being by reducing its victims to
the status of despised objects, no matter how noble the caused for which it
is employed."

The text of the statement:

Based upon our longstanding policies defending human rights and our
affirmation of human dignity as revealed in scripture, the General Assembly
of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA and Church World
Service meeting in Baltimore, MD, November 8-11, 2005, commends the United
States Senate for its recent passage of the "Anti-Torture Provisions" which
came as amendments to the Defense Appropriations Act of 2006. As that bill
now comes before the House of Representatives for action (H. R. 2863), we are
deeply disturbed that leaders within our nation's government oppose
legislation which publicly disavows our nation's use of torture anytime,
anywhere, under any circumstances.

Within the core of our religious tradition are Jesus' call to love
our enemies, his blessing of those who work for peace, and his instruction
that we are to do unto others as we would have them do unto us (Mt. 7:12)- a
teaching found in other faith traditions as well. Both United States and
international law reflect this biblical mandate, a social ethic commonly
known as the Golden Rule, by upholding as core principles the right of due
process and the humane treatment of all prisoners, even in times of war. As
delegates to the General Assembly of the National Council of Churches USA and
Church World Service, we find any and all use of torture unacceptable and
contrary to U.S. and international legal norms. We find it particularly
abhorrent that our nation's lawmakers would fail to approve the pending
legislation disavowing the use of torture by any entity on behalf of the
United States government.

Torture, regardless of circumstance, humiliates and debases torturer
and tortured alike. Torture turns its face against the Biblical truth that
all humans are created in the image of God (Gen. 1:26, 27). It denies the
preciousness of human life and the dignity of every human being by reducing
its victims to the status of despised objects, no matter how noble the cause
for which it is employed.

We believe that any reluctance of this nation to publicly disavow
torture under any circumstance not only erodes the peace of the world but
even the possibility of peace, since it destroys the trust required for
diplomacy and other non-violent means to seek peace. Thus, we call upon
members of the U. S. House of Representatives to follow the lead of the
Senate by approving the legislation before it banning the use of torture by
any entity of our government. Furthermore, we urge the President of the U. S.
and all members of his administration to support this legislation by
affirming America's long-standing commitment to refrain from the use of
torture.