From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 641-Selling Christmas wreaths helps

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:00:41 -0600

Selling Christmas wreaths helps hard-pressed families

Nov. 14, 2005

NOTE: A UMTV report and photographs are available at
http://umns.umc.org.

By James Melchiorre*

SALEM, Maine (UMNS) - Wes Moody measures the tree branch against his
forearm, with the tip just touching his elbow.

"We reach in, measure the tip with our elbow and ..."

Snap!

That 14-inch-long tip of a balsam fir tree will soon become part of a
Christmas wreath. Displaying wreaths is a Christmas tradition, but in
this area of Maine, the time-honored decoration represents something
much more: a financial life-saver for local families.

"A lot of the jobs that people had for years and years are gone now,"
says Kay Webb, a local pastor and director of United Methodist Economic
Ministry. "Factories have closed down.

"People are working several part-time jobs, more hours for less money,
and no benefits."

United Methodist Economic Ministry has roots in the mountain communities
of rural western Maine dating back to the late 1960s.

The ministry's role during the wreath-making season is crucial.

"People have made wreaths in this area for years and years and tried to
market them themselves," Webb explains. "The economic ministry decided
that, through the connections of the United Methodist Church, we could
help with that process. We're the in-between people."

Webb and her small staff serve as coordinators, buying wreaths from the
people who make them and then selling to churches and individuals. Many
of the wreaths show up as merchandise at the Christmas crafts fairs and
bazaars that churches sponsor in the days immediately before and after
Thanksgiving.

The wreaths sell for $8 apiece. All but 50 cents goes back to the
wreath-makers.

About 20 families will produce a total of 2,000 wreaths this season,
according to Crystal Cook, who oversees the program.

Those families will earn anywhere from a few hundred dollars to more
than a thousand, cash that can be vital during November, when
agricultural jobs have ended and the seasonal work at nearby ski resorts
has yet to begin.

Rhoda Bachelder began making wreaths after her husband, Boyd, became
disabled.

"Ours goes to finish off the taxes that we haven't paid during the
summer, our yearly taxes and, of course, oil and wood and, if there's
any leftover money, Christmas," Bachelder says.

"We've had at least a couple of girls get another semester of college
with the help of family members who have done a bunch of wreaths,"
recalls Joanne Moody. "I really felt good about that."

On an early November afternoon, with the sky gray, temperatures in the
40s, and snow squalls predicted to the north, Joanne and Wes Moody are
working quickly at the task known as "tipping," breaking off and
collecting tree branches.

Both husband and wife are wearing red jackets and bright orange caps.
You can't be too careful, or too visible, when you're wandering through
the Maine woods during deer-hunting season.

"I was happy when we had that heavy frost just before Halloween," Joanne
Moody says. "I always have to worry: is it going to get cold enough,
soon enough, to meet the schedule."

Joanne Moody knows all too well how narrow the window of opportunity can
be to make the wreaths that have become essential to the financial lives
of so many in this community.

"Tipping" can't begin until the first hard frost; otherwise the balsam
fir trees may be damaged.

Most years, in western Maine, in the shadow of Mount Abraham and
Saddleback Mountain, that frost comes during the last week of October.
Wreaths must be ready to ship by Nov. 15, to arrive in time for the
pre-Christmas season of Advent.

"This is a busy time," Joanne Moody says.

"But it's a good time of the year to be busy with things like this
because we just changed time, it gets dark, and it gives you something
good to do in the evenings."

Once they finish "tipping," Joanne and Wes Moody join their neighbors
around a large table in the conference room of the United Methodist
Economic Ministry office in Salem.

Each works on an individual wreath, starting with a wire ring 12 inches
in diameter, slowly attaching branches to it. A finished wreath must
weigh a minimum of three pounds.

Each is placed on a scale. It's a way to guarantee quality control, and
to ensure that this year's buyers become "repeat" customers.

Folks in this community are blessed with the natural beauty of mountains
and forests, where balsam fir and larch trees reach heights of 60 and 70
feet.

But they must also deal with the economic challenges of Franklin County
where, according to statistics compiled by the Margaret Chase Smith
Policy Center, per-capita income is 19 percent below the state average.

"We try to be the net that catches the folks that fall through the
cracks of other programs," Webb says.

"Unfortunately, the need is growing."

The United Methodist Economic Ministry tries to alleviate financial
distress year-round, by operating a thrift shop and a food pantry, and
by coordinating United Methodist mission teams during the summer. Based
in Strong, Maine, it receives support through the denomination's Advance
for Christ and His Church giving program (Advance Special #311870).

"They bring in money for materials and work on some of the housing,"
Webb says.

"Some of the elderly who don't have families around anymore, because the
family left to find jobs, we become their support system."

But during late October and the first half of November, that support
system changes focus, as local families and the ministry staff dedicate
themselves to a single purpose.

It's wreath-making season, when a holiday decoration can also provide
economic salvation during a cold Maine winter.

*Melchiorre is a freelance producer based in New York City.

News media contact: Fran Coode Walsh, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5458
or newsdesk@umcom.org.