From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] 26 moderators endorse Theological Task Force report

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:29:13 -0600

Note #9027 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05620
Nov. 17, 2005

26 moderators endorse
Theological Task Force report

Leaders say embattled document 'is surely the work of the Holy Spirit'

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - Twenty-five former moderators of the General Assembly and
current Moderator Rick Ufford-Chase have issued a statement in support of the
report of the Theological Task Force on Peace, Unity and Purity of the Church
(TTF).

The statement, released to the Presbyterian News Service on Nov. 16,
says the task force document "reflects the best of Presbyterianism" and "is
surely the work of the Holy Spirit."

The signers include every living moderator since Presbyterian reunion
in 1983 except William Wilson (1986), the Rev. David Dobler (1993) and Joan
Salmon Campbell (1989), who has left the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

The signers include moderators of Assemblies of both predecessor
denominations, including Silas Kessler, moderator of the United Presbyterian
Church in the U.S.A. (UPCUSA) in 1963, and Jule Spach, moderator of the
Presbyterian Church in the United States (PCUS) in 1976.

The statement was circulated by Price H. Gwynn III (1990) and the
Rev. Douglas Oldenburg (1998).

The TTF was created by the 213th General Assembly (2001) "to lead the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in spiritual discernment of our Christian
identity in and for the 21st century." It was specifically asked to address
issues of Christology, Biblical authority and interpretation, ordination
standards and power. Its final report, issued in mid-September, will be acted
upon by next summer's Assembly in Birmingham, AL.

Response to the report has focused on the ordination of sexually
active gays and lesbians. Presbyterians on both sides of that debate have
been critical of the report.

Supporters of gay ordination are unhappy because it recommends no
immediate action on the church's current constitutional prohibition ¾ section
G-6.0106b of The Book of Order, which limits ordination to those who practice
"fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman or
chastity in singleness."

Several overtures have been submitted to the Birmingham Assembly that
would delete G-6.0106b.

Those who oppose gay ordination have condemned the report's proposed
"authoritative interpretation" of the constitution, which would give
ordaining bodies more leeway in determining whether a candidate for
ordination who expresses a conscientious objection ("scruple") to any
provision of the constitution, including G-6.0106b, is questioning a
provision that is "essential" to fitness for ordained office.

The text of the moderators' statement:

Each of us was extremely honored and privileged to be elected
moderator of the General Assembly. During our tenure as moderator, we saw
many signs of the "best of Presbyterianism," but we also saw destructive
conflict that was harmful to the mission of the church. We have prayed daily
that God's Spirit would lead our church to a new unity and commitment to
Jesus Christ. We believe God is now answering that prayer.

We believe the Task Force on the Peace, Unity, and Purity of the
Church reflects the "best of Presbyterianism." The way this very diverse
group of twenty people with convictions across the theological spectrum came
together with mutual respect and unanimously produced this report is surely
the work of the Holy Spirit. They have modeled for us the gift of unity that
is given to us in Jesus Christ.

We believe their report also reflects the "best of Presbyterianism."
They strongly urge us to "stay together in one body." They call us to follow
their example and engage in "discernment groups" with diverse views that meet
for worship, study, community building and theological reflection. They
encourage us to study together the theological basis of their report in the
prologue. And they invite us to reclaim the long established principles of
Presbyterian polity: having denominational standards for ordination, yet
allowing ordaining and installing governing bodies to apply them after
rigorous examination of candidates, "deciding whether a candidate has
departed from essentials of the Reformed faith and practice."

We urge prayerful study and discussion of their report and its
recommendations. With the task force, we believe it "offers the church ways
to live together that may demonstrate to a violently divided world the peace,
unity, and purity given through Jesus Christ."

The signers are the Rev. Silas Kessler (1963, UPCUSA); the Rev.
Robert C. Lamar (1974, UPCUSA); Thelma C. D. Adair (1976, UPCUSA); Jule C.
Spach (1976, PCUS); the Rev. William P. Lytle (1978, UPCUSA); Sara Bernice
Moseley (1978, PCUS); the Rev. Albert C. Winn (1979, PCUS); the Rev. Howard
Rice (1979, UPCUSA); the Rev. John F. Anderson (1982-83, PCUS); the Rev.
Harriet Nelson (1984); the Rev. Benjamin Weir (1986); Isabel Wood Rogers
(1987); Price H. Gwynn, III (1990); the Rev. Herbert D. Valentine (1991); the
Rev. John M. Fife (1992); the Rev. Robert W. Bohl (1994); Marj Carpenter
(1995); the Rev. John M. Buchanan (1996); Patricia Brown (1997); the Rev.
Douglas W. Oldenburg (1998); Freda A. Gardner (1999); the Rev. Syngman Rhee
(2000); the Rev. Jack Rogers (2001); the Rev. Fahed Abu-Akel (2002); the Rev.
Susan R. Andrews (2003); and Rick Ufford-Chase (2004).