From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE ANNOUNCES TEN DAYS OF AFRICA DEBT

From "Jenny Shields" <JShields@afsc.org>
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:22:01 -0500

National Call to Prayer for Debt Cancellation, December 1 - 10

Contact: Janis D. Shields, Director Media and Public Relations
(215) 241-7060 AFTER HOURS: (302) 545-6596

"Shall we let our children die of curable or preventable illnesses;
prevent them form going to school; let people drink polluted water- just
to pay off this debt?"

- William Mkapa, President of the United Republic of Tanzania.

The American Friends Service Committee launches Ten Days of Africa Debt
Action, December 1 - 10. Here's why:

Every year in Africa, six million children die of malnutrition before
their fifth birthday. More than 800 million people go to bed hungry.
Thousands die of starvation. HIV/AIDS kills more than 2 million people
every year and adds to the league of millions of orphans in developing
countries.

More than 4 million children under five have died since seven of the
world's wealthiest nations began to consider 100% debt cancellation for
impoverished countries in June 2004. How many more will loose their
lives?

The American Friends Service Committee asks you to join our National
Call to Prayer, December 1 - 10, in your places of worship. We're asking
religious leaders from all faith denominations to take a moment during
this weekend to lead a day of worship that highlights the need for debt
cancellation.

Friday, December 2 - National Call to Prayer for Debt Cancellation
(Mosques)
Saturday, December 3 - National Call to Prayer for Debt Cancellation
(Temple/Synagogue)
Sunday, December 4 - National Call to Prayer for Debt Cancellation
(Church)
Tuesday, December 6 - National Candlelight Vigils for Cancellation
Thursday, December 8 - Student Days of Africa Debt Action

To find out ways you can organize your faith community to participate
visit the AFSC website,
http://www.afsc.org/africa-debt/call-to-prayer.htm. Resources for
Churches and Christian communities, Jewish Congregations and Islamic
communities are available.

Other Ways to Join December Ten Days of Africa Debt Action

* Organize a town hall meeting on the Africa Debt Crisis. For
possible speakers, visit our Life over Debt Speakers Bureau,
http://www.afsc.org/africa/new-africa/learn/speakers.htm
* Host a Life Over Debt 101 training to learn more about the debt
crisis. Contact rlawson@afsc.org to schedule your training or for
information.
* Schedule a meeting with your congressperson in your home town to
tell them about Africa's Debt crisis.
* Plan to host the Red Hot Embers exhibit. For more information,
please visit our website at
http://www.afsc.org/africa/new-africa/activism/burning-embers.htm or
email dgramigna@afsc.org

# # #

The American Friends Service Committee is a Quaker organization that
includes people of various faiths who are committed to social justice,
peace and humanitarian service. Its work is based on the belief in the
worth of every person and faith in the power of love to overcome
violence and injustice.