From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Radical hospitality causes 'wonderful problems'

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:37:28 -0500

Daybook, From Episcopal News Service

Monday, November 21, 2005

Radical hospitality causes 'wonderful problems' Hmong refugees officially
received into Episcopal Church

By Joe Bjordal

ENS112105-01

[Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota] When 175 Hmong refugees from Southeast
Asia, formerly Roman Catholic Christians, were officially received into
the Episcopal Church November 3 at St. Mark's Cathedral in Minneapolis,
their congregation became the first of its kind in the Anglican Communion.

Holy Apostles is the only predominantly Hmong congregation in the Anglican
Communion, according to the Rev. Dr. Winfred Vergara, missioner for
Asian American Ministries of the Episcopal Church.

Vergara, whose office has provided both financial and leadership
resources to Holy Apostles in recent months, was the preacher at the
historic confirmation and reception service.

He told the congregation that if the church is to survive and flourish in
the 21st century, "we must be a reflection of the world of many colors,
faces and cultures. As on the day of Pentecost, we must become a church
of many languages, tribes and nations. Tonight, in this service of
reception and confirmation, the Episcopal Church of Holy Apostles in
the Diocese of Minnesota has become such a reflection of the beautiful,
colorful world in which we find ourselves."

"You have stepped out from the comfort zones . . . and through a radical
hospitality opened your doors to a new possibility, the possibility of
growth, plurality and diversity," said Vergara. "Tonight the Holy Spirit
is here filling us with dreams and visions of what the Episcopal Church
is and can be."

Ongoing cross-cultural hospitality, ministry

There comes a point in the service of confirmation and reception when the
bishop says, "the candidates for confirmation (or reception) will now be
presented." When Bishop James L. Jelinek of Minnesota spoke those words in
Hmong, the candidates came forward and filled the crossing and main aisle,
awaiting their turn to kneel before a bishop and become an Episcopalian.

It took three bishops 40 minutes to lay hands upon, pray with and receive
the new members.

Assisting Jelinek were Bishop Richard Chang of Hawaii and retired Bishop
Daniel Swenson of Vermont. Jelinek invited Chang to participate because
he is the only Asian bishop in the Episcopal Church. Swenson, a former
priest in the diocese, regularly assists Jelinek.

Jelinek thought it important to have Chang participate to demonstrate
what he terms a "very important distinction." He has frequently pointed
out that the history of diversity in the Diocese of Minnesota "is not
just about the Anglos welcoming people from other cultures.

"Rather, this has been people of different cultures embracing each other
in the love of Christ and for the sake of mission," said Jelinek.

The cover of the order of service for the occasion illustrated the
diocese's 148-year-old tradition of ministry shared across cultures:
juxtaposed images of Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple (first bishop of
Minnesota) baptizing American Indians at Fort Snelling and Sy Vang Lor,
one of the new Hmong faithful at Holy Apostles in festive traditional
Hmong dress.

Radical hospitality to hundreds

The current story of the Church of the Holy Apostles has recently been
told throughout the church. It's the story of a small, struggling
congregation that, as Jelinek remarked at the recently- concluded
diocesan convention, "heard a knock on the door and opened it to find
several hundred people wanting to come inside."

The 175 persons confirmed and received on November 3 are but the core
membership of more than 600 adults and children who have started attending
Holy Apostles.

The Rev. Bill Bulson, vicar of Holy Apostles, has led the multi- cultural
hospitality effort. He has learned the Hmong language. He now presides
and preaches in Hmong at the congregation's 11:00 a.m. worship service
each Sunday. He is overseeing a team that is translating the Book of
Common Prayer into Hmong.

Bulson has been helped in this effort by an already multi-cultural group
of lay leaders, whom, he says, seemed to have been "strategically" put in
place during the years of struggle. The senior warden is Liberian. The
junior warden is Puerto Rican. Others are from Russia, the Philippines
and Native American nations. When the opportunity came to expand the
already multi-cultural family of Holy Apostles, they were ready.

The congregation is now struggling, once again, but with what Bulson and
other lay leaders are calling "wonderful problems." They are out of room
and need to expand.

On All Saints Sunday, Bulson baptized 30 persons, most infants and
children. It was standing room only.

Reason for church

The Rev. Carolyn Schmidt, rector of the Church of the Holy Cross, Dundas,
Minnesota, and an American Indian, attended the service and wrote these
words in her parish newsletter the following day:

"The new people do not bring a vast wealth in money. They bring all of
the challenges of a new immigrant people. They really are a challenge
for the congregation and for our diocese. But this challenge is the
reason we have parishes. This is the reason we are the church. We are
here to open our doors to all the challenges of the world. We are here
to bring in and pray with strangers. We are here to listen to the needs
of people and to minister to them, not asking if we can, but trusting."

-- Joe Bjordal is the manager of news and information for the Diocese
of Minnesota

-- To SUBSCRIBE to enslist, send a blank email message, from the address
which you wish subscribed, to: join-enslist@epicom.org

The enslist is published by Episcopal News Service:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens