From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Ethiopian says homosexuality issue jeopardizes

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:49:20 -0600

Note #9032 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05625
Nov. 22, 2005

Ethiopian says homosexuality issue
jeopardizes partnership with PC(USA)

by Jerry L. Van Marter

ORLANDO, FL - Any move by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to allow the
ordination of sexually active gays and lesbians would jeopardize its
relationship with its main partner in Ethiopia, the president of the
Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus (EECMY) said here last week.

"For us, this a confessional issue, over which we lament and pray for
you and to God that it shouldn't happen," the Rev. Iteffa Gobena said during
the annual gathering of the Presbyterian Coalition, a group that opposes any
changes in the PC(USA)'s current constitutional ban on the ordination of
anyone who doesn't practice "fidelity within the covenant of marriage between
a man and woman or chastity in singleness."

"I take home that we prayed with you, we lament on this with you,"
Gobena said. "God will not lead us into shame."

Gobena, who was the EECMY's evangelism director before becoming its
president several years ago, reflected on his church's rapid growth. In the
past 50 years it has grown by about 1000 percent, to about 4 million members.
The roots of Protestant Christianity in Ethiopia date to the middle of the
19th century, when Lutheran and Presbyterian missionaries arrived there.

The church has survived through schisms, Italian (fascist) occupation
during World War II, and numerous political upheavals. "Our identity lies in
knowing that God is revealing his Son yesterday, today and tomorrow to all
people," Gobena said.

The ministries of the EECMY are varied, but focused mainly on health,
schools and peacemaking, Gobena said. "We are very active in HIV/AIDS
treatment and prevention programs, because more than 5 percent of our people
are infected," he said. "We must work closely with other countries, too,
because people move around so much."

The EECMY's peace office has been "instrumental in reforming the
government, promoting civic responsibility and resolving conflicts between
tribes and reconciling the Ethiopian/Eritrean conflict," he said, adding that
Ethiopia has "come to a relatively modest democratic government" after years
of dictatorship.

"EECMY has brought spiritual, material and political hope to the
people," Gobena said, "but there's still a lot of poverty."