From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACC chairman Bishop John Paterson speaks in Canada

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:30:40 -0800

ACNS 4082 | ACO | 25 NOVEMBER 2005

ACC chairman Bishop John Paterson speaks in Canada

These two stories come to us from the Anglican Church of Canada

Canadian church remains "important part of the Communion"

"The Communion needs Canada and I believe Canada needs the Communion," he said, adding that he hopes that the "listening process" that has been put in place, will allow churches throughout the communion to appreciate each others' differences.

Bishop Paterson addressed CoGS during a two-day visit as the council gathered in Mississauga, Ont., Nov. 17-20.

The ACC chair apologised to the Canadian church for the treatment it received at the Consultative Council's meeting in Nottingham, Eng., last summer.

Bishop Paterson heard presentations to CoGS by Canadians who attended that meeting, and later told the council that those presentations "made me revisit the daily nightmares I had to face as chair of the ACC. . I did not enjoy the last meeting."

He said that if the "listening process" is going to happen, it must happen at several levels. "We have to talk to ourselves and to others."

The listening and study process is meant to monitor the work done on the subject of human sexuality in the worldwide Anglican Communion as defined by the 1998 Lambeth Conference.

Bishop Paterson noted that while a lot of attention is placed on Communion-wide divisions, not enough attention is placed on work done at the regional level.

"We need to revisit links like partners in mission and companion dioceses that allowed us to talk to each other," he said.

He commended both the Episcopal Church of the United States of America (ECUSA) and the Anglican Church of Canada as "exemplary" in the attention they have given the Windsor Report and for meeting all the requests that are contained in the report.

Canadian Anglicans attended the last meeting of the Anglican Consultative Council in response to a request by Anglican Primates that the church make a presentation on actions the church has taken in the area of same-sex blessings.

As well as four presenters, the Primate, Archbishop Andrew Hutchison and three elected representatives of the Canadian Church to the consultative council attended the meeting, although the members of the council were instructed by CoGs not to participate in the proceedings.

CoGS heard reports from several of the people who had attended the meeting.

Bishop Sue Moxley, one of the Canadian members, told CoGs that the decision to send members but not to allow them to participate was improperly understood by some. She said that while it was important for the Canadians to be in Nottingham, "we should never again allow ourselves to be bullied."

Canon Robert Falby, a presenter, noted with regret that after the Canadian and U.S. presentations, a scheduled sessions allowing members of the ACC to respond was cancelled. "I found that to be a very bad thing," he said.

Canon Falby also noted with concern that there was "a complete misrepresentation of what the position of the Anglican Church of Canada is on the issue of same-sex blessings. Our message was that we are still a church in discussion and that message was deliberately ignored," he noted.

Article from Anglican Church of Canada by Diana Mavunduse

Churches unlikely to pass motion adding primates to ACC, says chair

Speaking to members of the Council of General Synod (CoGS) at their meeting here on Nov. 19, Bishop Paterson said there was "a great deal of unease" expressed by ACC members at the possibility of the body being dominated by primates.

"What happened in Nottingham was that there was deep-seated anger from some members of the ACC of primates acting on their own towards ACC," said Bishop Paterson. "The primates decided on an action against two churches who are members of a body (ACC) mandated by the constitution to be consultative. How can it be consultative if two important churches are not able to take part?" He added that among ACC members "there's a feeling that perhaps we shouldn't allow the primates to meet alone ever again." His remark drew laughter from CoGS members.

The primates, during their meeting in February 2005, had requested that the Canadian and American churches "voluntarily withdraw" from the ACC meeting in Nottingham, England, last June as a step towards restoring unity within the Anglican Communion fractured by the issue of same-sex blessings in New Westminster and the ordination of a gay bishop in New Hampshire.

"There was a measure of resentment that the primates had acted precipitately and punitively to the ACC by saying that Canada and ECUSA (Episcopal Church in the United States of America) could not be members of the ACC," said Bishop Paterson in an interview with the Anglican Journal.

Bishop Paterson, who is a former primate of New Zealand, said that it would take about two to three years to complete the ratification process regarding the inclusion of primates to the ACC. The motion, passed during the ACC meeting in Nottingham, requires a two-thirds majority vote from member churches of the Anglican Communion.

"I don't think it will fly. I don't think it will be approved," he said in the interview, noting he was basing his assumption on "a great deal of unease" that he has picked up from a number of churches. "It will take a full two-to-three-year period for all the member churches to meet and engage in a process to find the answer. In that space of time the word will move around as to why people don't agree with it. I think that will gain momentum."

He said there are two views regarding the inclusion of primates. "The feeling was that if we brought them into the body where there is ... the only option for lay voice to be heard, that that would be better than allowing them to continue to act independently meeting on their own," he said. "The other view, which is gaining ascendancy, is the fear that clergy and lay people in the ACC would look to the primate to given them a lead as to how to decide to vote on any particular issue and that that would therefore destroy the importance of the ACC as a really consultative body, where the voices of those other than bishops are valued, followed and listened to."

Asked whether there would be a common mechanism for ensuring a consultative process regarding action on the motion, he said, "I'm assuming that it goes before the highest legislative body in each province because that's the way most of us work." He added that "the ACC requires that any changes to its constitution -- and this is one -- does have to be referred in due process to the General Synod or its equivalent in each member church."

In his speech, Bishop Paterson underscored that "the Anglican Church of Canada remains an important part of the Anglican Communion; the Communion needs Canada and I think Canada needs the Communion." Bishop Paterson was invited to attend the CoGS meeting, held Nov. 17-20, by Archbishop Andrew Hutchison, primate of the Anglican Church of Canada.

He said that both the Canadian and American churches have been "exemplary" in adhering to the recommendations of the Windsor Report, which had recommended, among others, moratoria on same-sex blessings and the ordination of gay bishops.

He also apologized for the way Canadians were treated at the ACC. Both Canadian and American churches had sent their ACC members to "attend but not participate" in the June 18-29 meeting. While there, the Canadian and American delegation said they had felt "exclusion" and "alienation."

"I deeply apologize," he said. "I've been to six ACC meetings for a period of 15 years and I really enjoyed and appreciated the chance to meet wonderful people around the Communion. But this last year, I cannot say all of those things. I did not enjoy this recent meeting ... The level of rhetoric, unpleasant language from some parts of our leadership in the Communion was distressing to me and I know as distressing to many Anglicans around the world."

In his speech, Bishop Paterson also said that:

a.. The idea of having a common covenant among members of the Anglican Communion, as proposed by the Lambeth Commission on Communion, "may be the last hope of finding something that helps us stay together;"
b.. The divisions within the Communion are now so "serious and it may be that unity, as opposed to communion, is now something that's in our past;"
c.. "I'm not a conspiracy theorist but some very good minds in the American church suggest that this (the trouble within the Communion) is indeed what it is (a conspiracy) and that really worries me."

Article from: Anglican Journal Canada by Marites N. Sison