From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Releases Draft of Full Communion Statement

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:23:24 -0600

with UMC
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 28, 2005

ELCA Presiding Bishop Releases Draft of Full Communion Statement with UMC
05-231-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- A working draft of a possible full-
communion statement of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) and United Methodist Church (UMC) is now available for
discussion and comment by congregations of both traditions.
The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, in his role
as chief ecumenical officer for the ELCA, authorized release of
the draft, "Confessing Our Faith Together: A Statement toward
Full Communion by the ELCA-UMC Bilateral Dialogue" for study.
Earlier this fall the draft was presented for review to the ELCA
Conference of Bishops.
The Conference of Bishops is an advisory body of the church,
consisting of the ELCA's 65 synod bishops, presiding bishop and
secretary.
A congregational resource which includes the draft is now
available, said Dr. Michael R. Trice, associate director, ELCA
Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Relations. The resource,
"Confessing Our Faith Together: A Study and Discussion Guide,"
encourages congregations of both traditions to assess the
possibility of living into full communion, he said.
At the 2005 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, voting members adopted
a proposal for "interim Eucharistic sharing" between the ELCA and
UMC. Earlier in the year, the UMC Council of Bishops adopted the
same proposal. Interim Eucharistic sharing is considered an
intermediate step leading to full communion.
Should full communion be achieved, the two churches may
exchange clergy to serve in congregations, share common mission
goals and demonstrate "to the world in a concrete way the unity
given to us in Christ through the gospel and sacraments,"
according to the draft text.
The Rev. Paul A. Schreck, associate for bilaterial
dialogues, ELCA Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Relations, said
the draft is being submitted to both churches as a discussion
starter, and the dialogue team expects to use comments they
receive to polish a final version.
There is "no timetable" for formal consideration of a full
communion proposal by both churches, though formal responses to
it should be sent to the ELCA by Dec. 31, 2006, Hanson said.
The document states that the dialogue team drafted
"Confessing Our Faith Together" to "articulate the high level of
convergence we experienced around the Triune God, our
authoritative documents, salvation by grace through faith, the
sacraments, the Church and its ministries, and the world and our
common mission."
The dialogue team said the participants discovered that the
two churches had much in common and much to recommend in the
pursuit of full communion. Neither church ever "condemned" the
other, the draft said.
"Distinctions between our two churches, whether matters of
style, history or ethos, and even differences of theological
expression, content and emphasis, need not be considered church-
dividing," the draft said.
The dialogue team said a full-communion agreement "will
succeed precisely as each church takes seriously its
responsibility for mutual admonition and responsibility." The
team called on local judicatories and congregations to begin the
process of realizing what the proposed agreement will mean.
"Confessing Our Faith Together" also contains a draft of a
possible implementing resolution for full communion.
---
"Confessing Our Faith Together: A Study and Discussion
Guide," which includes the draft text, is at
http://tinyurl.com/ahfj8 on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news