From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Churches Urged to Fully Recognize Diaconal Ministry

From "Frank Imhoff" <Frank.Imhoff@elca.org>
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:31:10 -0600

Lutheran Churches Urged to Fully Recognize Diaconal Ministry of Deacons
and Deaconesses
Participants of LWF International Consultation in Brazil Identify
Common Concerns

SAO LEOPOLDO, Brazil/GENEVA, 29 November 2005 (LWI) - Member churches
of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) have been challenged to recognize
the diaconal ministry of deacons and deaconesses as an integral part of
the one public ministry of the church, charged to proclaim, teach and
bear witness to the gospel.

In a statement following a November 2-7 consultation in Sao Leopoldo,
Brazil, representatives of 16 LWF member churches from Africa, Asia,
Europe, Latin America and North America, called upon churches in the
global Lutheran communion to reexamine the ways in which they "have
ordered the ecclesial ministry and, in particular, to do so in such a
way that the diaconal responsibility of their mission is adequately
expressed."

The consultation was organized by the LWF Department for Theology and
Studies (DTS) under the theme, "The Diaconal Ministry in the Lutheran
Churches." The aim was to identify key elements of an understanding of
the diaconal ministry of deacons and deaconesses that is solidly
grounded in the Bible, in line with the Lutheran Reformation and open to
different contexts.

Participants came from Argentina, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, El
Salvador, Finland, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, Lithuania,
Malaysia, Norway, Sweden, United States of America and Zimbabwe.

"The consultation has helped me a lot to think more thoroughly about
the diaconal work in which I am myself involved and I encourage my
church to do likewise," said a young woman from Japan. A dean from
Zimbabwe pledged to "do what I can" to get the diaconal ministry fully
recognized on an equal level with the pastoral ministry in his church.
"We have discussed the theological issues over and over again. I want
something practical achieved," a Swedish deacon commented impatiently.
"My church has taken bold steps to recognize the deacons' ministry as
equally important as the pastors'. I am happy to share this experience
with other churches which are still on the sidelines," said an
Argentinean deacon.

In order to ensure broad discussion, the participants had shared
advance reports on their churches' experience with this subject. Four
major presentations from Brazil, India, Norway and the USA provided
in-depth studies of the situation within these churches as well as
significant theological substance for reflection and discussion.

The statement from the consultation will be sent to the LWF member
churches with the request to disseminate and discuss it on various
levels, and share feedback with DTS. Whenever appropriate, the member
churches should translate the document into local languages.

The LWF/DTS Study Secretary for Theology and the Church, Rev. Dr
Reinhard Boettcher coordinated the consultation. It was hosted by the
Casa Matriz, the motherhouse of the community of deaconesses in Sao
Leopoldo. (462 words)

*The statement from the consultation will soon be posted on the LWF Web
site.

* * *

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF currently has 140
member churches in 78 countries all over the world, with a total
membership of nearly 66 million. The LWF acts on behalf of its member
churches in areas of common interest such as ecumenical and inter-faith
relations, theology, humanitarian assistance, human rights,
communication, and the various aspects of mission and development work.
Its secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the LWF's information service.
Unless specifically noted, material presented does not represent
positions or opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the
dateline of an article contains the notation (LWI), the material may be
freely reproduced with acknowledgment.]

* * *

LWI online: http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Welcome.EN.html

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
P. O. Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Tel.: +41/22-791 63 69
Fax: +41/22-791 66 30
E-Mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org