From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Explores the 'Vocation of the Evangelical Leader'

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:53:48 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 29, 2005

ELCA Explores the 'Vocation of the Evangelical Leader'
05-233-FI

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- A conference here Nov. 18-20 challenged
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) to be an
"evangelical" Lutheran church across the United States and
Caribbean. About 280 ELCA members participated in the "Vocation
of the Evangelical Leader" conference, representing various
networks in the church.
Three general themes emerged as advice from and for the
ELCA's evangelists:
+ Help all Lutherans practice telling the story of Jesus Christ
and where it intersects with their own faith journeys.
+ Equip young Lutherans to be evangelical leaders.
+ Equip Lutherans of color to be evangelical leaders.
In 2003 the ELCA adopted an evangelism strategy that
outlined four objectives for the church. This conference was the
second of four annual events, developing the strategy's second
objective -- to prepare and renew evangelical leaders, lay and
clergy, by reaffirming evangelism as a key priority.
Worship, prayer, speeches, Bible study, plenary and small-
group discussions, workshops and a panel presentation marked the
conference.
Participants represented ELCA campus ministry, the Christian
Education Network, colleges, universities and seminaries, the
Latino community, lifelong learning centers, Lutheran Men in
Mission, mission development, outdoor ministry, Partners in
Evangelism, schools and early childhood ministry, the Synodical
Evangelism Network and youth ministry. Several of the networks
held meetings before and during the conference.
Twice during the conference participants met in "affinity
groups" -- first in regional groupings and second in assigned
groups designed to facilitate conversation between the various
networks represented. They could also choose two of nine
"Leadership Lab" workshops with topics such as coaching, online
learning, and children and youth as leaders.

Keynote Speakers Focus on Simplicity, Future Church
"There is a hunger in the land," the Rev. Barbara K.
Lundblad, Joe R. Engle Associate Professor of Preaching, Union
Theological Seminary, New York, said in the first of two keynote
addresses.
The hungers she named were insecurity in the midst of
downsizing, isolation in the whirlwind of mobility, emptiness in
the midst of success, poverty in the midst of plenty, fear in the
world of terrorism and random violence, uncertainty in the midst
of change, and a sense of abandonment while others get all the
attention.
"We must be very cautious of simplistic, dangerous answers
to the hurts in people's lives," Lundblad said, but Lutherans
have stories that can feed these hungers.
"What in the world do we have to say?" she asked. "What is
the positive word that will not be dangerous and simplistic but
life-giving?"
"We need to decode the big words" so often associated with
Lutheran theology, Lundblad said. Salvation, justification,
incarnation, covenant, community, justice, real presence,
theology of the cross, creation and grace were a few of her
examples.
Lundblad challenged participants to practice putting their
faith journeys into simple words and messages.
In the second keynote address, the Rev. David A. Berg,
associate pastor, St. John Lutheran Church, Waseca, Minn.,
presented statistics that showed the average age of an ELCA
member is 54 and that almost 97 percent of ELCA members are
White. "We are older than the general population, and we are
less diverse," he said. "Do we dare project out to 2020 and take
a good hard look?"
"What are we going to do today to change everything 15 years
from now?" Berg asked. "God has given us the right leaders for
the right time here in this room," he said, asking participants
to consider "emerging generations."
Berg played a song from a vinyl album; then he played the
same song from a cassette tape, from a CD and from an iPod.
"It's the same song, but the media we use to experience that song
have changed," he said. Some reminisce about the way it used to
be, he said, others talk about the higher quality of sound.
"We have a song as old as the Gospels themselves," Berg
said. The church must use all the media available to tell the
story of Jesus Christ, he said, but don't forget "live and in
person."
Each generation hears the gospel using different senses and
different processes, Berg said. "What works in one place is not
necessarily going to work in the next," he said.
"We are here today because of those who came before us,"
Berg said. "There are a lot of people cheering us on."

Panel Recalls Conference Themes
The Rev. Paul L. Campbell, executive director, Spirit in the
Desert Lutheran Retreat Center, Carefree, Ariz.; Sean Forde,
recent graduate of Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn., awaiting
call and ordination in Boca Raton, Fla.; Dr. Carol R. Jacobson,
professor of practical theology, Pacific Lutheran Theological
Seminary, Berkeley, Calif.; and the Rev. Rosemary Sanchez-Guzman,
pastor, Iglesia Luterana Cristo Rey, El Paso, Texas, took part in
a panel discussion near the end of the conference to recall some
of the themes they heard.
Campbell said, "An evangelical leader is someone who
respects and honors different points of view, experiences and
perspectives, who encourages people to see God in their daily
lives and who actually seeks change in his or her own faith
journey."
Forde said young men "are looking to connect with Jesus
Christ, the ELCA and each other." "They want to know how to be
in relationship with Jesus Christ for 50 years," he said. "We
need you to show us the way."
Jacobson said, "We have to think about growth in ways other
than young families staying 30 years." She encouraged Lutherans
to go back to Sunday school and adult forums to talk about the
Christian faith. "We must know that story and practice telling
it."
Sanchez-Guzman said, "There is an urgent need in our country
to have a renewed relationship with Jesus Christ and a renewed
relationship with each other." Speaking as an immigrant to the
United States, she said, "Welcome us. Be hospitable. Change
with us. Learn our stories. Share a piece of your bread."
The Rev. John D. Schleicher, assistant to the bishop, ELCA
North/West Lower Michigan Synod, Lansing, served as the event's
"listener" and summarized themes he had heard. Connecting with
young people was an overarching theme he recognized.
Other themes were to study God's Word, pray, be a friend and
"challenge young adults to be evangelists," he said.
"Be not afraid," Schleicher said. "Be bold, even with a
trembling heart," he said. "Be prepared to tell God's story."
The Rev. M. Wyvetta Bullock, executive for leadership
development, ELCA Office of the Presiding Bishop, hosted the
panel discussion.

Planning Begins for Next Event
Event coordinators included the Rev. Brent W. Dahlseng, ELCA
director for evangelism, the Rev. Ivis LaRiviere-Mestre,
associate director for Latino evangelism and outreach, the Rev.
Kathryn Love, associate director for evangelism, and Diane
Monroe, acting director for Christian education, all with ELCA
Evangelical Outreach and Congregational Mission.
The first objective of the ELCA's evangelism strategy -- to
call the church to prayer -- was the subject of a similar
conference in 2004. The third objective -- to teach discipleship
-- will be the focus of a 2006 conference, and the fourth
objective -- to start and renew congregations -- will be featured
in 2007.
"What happens from here is we begin to plan for what will
happen in 2006 and 2007," Love said. "We're also going to be
conscious of the things that we've laid out here," she said.
"We're going to be following up and looking for a little bit of
accountability from those people who were here. As a result of
this experience what has happened in your ministry?"
"This has been a watershed event because of the wider
networks that were involved but also because of the increased
number of people of color among us," Monroe said. "There was a
strong presence of people of color, and their witness and words
were gentle and loving but clear. 'We need to be among you. We
are the Lutheran church.'"

Worship, Music Highlight Conference
Carlos Pena, ELCA vice president, Galveston, Texas, preached
during the opening worship. He based his sermon on the story in
the Gospel of St. Luke of the resurrected Christ meeting two
travelers on the road from Jerusalem to Emmaus.
The Rev. Peggy M. Wuertele, ELCA regional coordinator,
Philadelphia, preached during the closing worship. She read
Psalm 23 from the Christian Old Testament, calling God "the
ultimate leader."
Music for the conference was performed by "The Pull," made
up of the Rev. Gretchen Weller and others from Bethel Lutheran
Church, Madison, Wis.
Judge Dan Joy, treasurer, Lutheran Men in Mission, Jamaica,
N.Y., led a Bible study of the second letter to Timothy in the
New Testament.
Stacy Kitahata, ELCA regional congregational ministry
coordinator, Seattle, served as the event chaplain.
-- -- --
The ELCA Evangelism Strategy is available at
http://www.ELCA.org/evangelism/ on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news