From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson's 2005 Christmas Message

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:44:00 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 29, 2005

ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson's 2005 Christmas Message

Dear friends,

We wait in darkness, fearing that the light will never come. We
wait in silence, fearing that there will be no good news. We
wait alone, fearing the isolation and separation that darkness
brings. We attempt to illumine our own path but find neither the
way nor the truth.

Scripture brings words of promise to us:

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light.
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not
overcome it.
We have beheld Christ's glory, glory as of the only Son from
the Father.
To us a child is born, to us a Son is given.
In him is life, and the life was the light of all people.

The song of the angels and the glory of the heavens pierce our
darkness and fill our silence. Joy overcomes our terror, and we
believe the wondrous Good News that Jesus, Savior and Messiah,
has been born. We rejoice, carrying the light of Christ as we
tell the Good News to everyone.

This Christmas season, may you be filled with the wonder of Mary,
the clarity of the angels, the joy of the shepherds, the
determination of the magi, and the light and peace of the Christ
child.

With you, I am living in God's amazing grace,

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson
Presiding Bishop
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Chicago