From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Background information on the Inauguration of the Archbishop of York

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:05:22 -0800

ACNS 4084a | ENGLAND | 30 NOVEMBER 2005

Background information on the Inauguration of the Archbishop of York

Photographs for this article are available here:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/40/75/acns4084a.cfm

Biography of Dr John Sentamu

John Tucker Mugabi Sentamu was born in Uganda on the 10th June 1949. He
was educated in Uganda, graduating in Law from Makerere University,
Kampala and is an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda. He practised Law
both at the Bar and at the Bench before he came to the UK in 1974. He
read theology at Selwyn College Cambridge where he gained a Masters
Degree and a Doctorate. He trained for ordination at Ridley Hall,
Cambridge, then part of the Cambridge Federation of Theological
Colleges. Following his ordination in 1979 he served as Assistant
Chaplain at Selwyn College, Cambridge. From 1979-1982 he was Chaplain at
HM Remand Centre Lachmere House and Curate of St Andrew's, Ham in the
Diocese of Southwark.

>From 1982-1983 he was Curate of St Paul, Herne Hill, and from 1983-1984
Priest-in-Charge at Holy Trinity, Tulse Hill and Parish Priest of St
Matthias Upper Tulse Hill. He then became Vicar of the joint benefice of
Holy Trinity and St Matthias from 1984-1986. Between 1987 and 1989 he
was also Priest-in-Charge of St Saviour Brixton Hill. He was appointed
Bishop of Stepney in 1996 and Bishop for Birmingham in 2002.

>From 1997 to 1999, Dr Sentamu was Adviser to the Stephen Lawrence
Judicial Inquiry and he chaired the Damilola Taylor Review, 2002. He has
been the chairman of the NHS Haemoglobinopathy Screening Programme since
2001.Between 2002 and 2004 he was Chairman of the EC1 New Deal. He
became President of Youth for Christ in 2004 and President of the YMCA
in April 2005.

Dr Sentamu is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. His interests
include music, cooking, reading, athletics, rugby and football.

Dr Sentamu is married to Margaret, a Senior Selection Secretary in the
Ministry Division of the Archbishops' Council, and they have two
grown-up children, Grace and Geoffrey.

Details:

Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda, L.L.B. 1971.
Selwyn College, Cambridge, B.A. 1976, M.A. M.Phil. 1979, Ph.D. 1984
Ridley Hall, Cambridge.

Deacon 1979, Priest 1979
Chaplain, HM Remand Centre, Latchmere House 1979 - 1982
Assistant Curate, Ham St Andrew, Diocese of Southwark, 1979 - 1982
Assistant Curate, Herne Hill St Paul, Diocese of Southwark, 1982 - 1983
Priest-in-Charge, Tulse Hill Holy Trinity, Diocese of Southwark, 1983 -
1984
Vicar, Upper Tulse Hill St Matthias, Diocese of Southwark, 1983 - 1984
Vicar, Tulse Hill Holy Trinity and St Matthias, Diocese of Southwark,
1985 - 1996
Priest-in-Charge, Brixton Hill St Saviour, Diocese of Southwark, 1987 -
1989
Honorary Canon Southwark Cathedral, 1993 - 1996

Area Bishop, Stepney, Diocese of London, 1996 - 2002
Consecrated 25 September 1996 in St Paul's Cathedral

Bishop for Birmingham, 2002 - 2005
Inaugurated 16 November 2002 in Birmingham Cathedral

Elected as Archbishop of York 21 July 2005
Confirmed as 97th Archbishop of York on 5 October 2005 in St
Mary-le-Bow, London
Inaugurated 30 November 2005 in York Minster.

Background to the Inauguration of Archbishop Sentamu

The Installation of a new Archbishop begins a new chapter in the life of
the province and diocese as its chief pastor and teacher is welcomed by
his people, placed in his archiepiscopal seat (cathedra, which gives a
cathedral its name), and begins his ministry of teaching and celebrating
the Good News of God in Jesus Christ.

The Crown Nomination Commission saw the role and the qualities of the
new Archbishop of York in the following terms:

A missionary Archbishop with a vision for and confidence in mission - a
risk taker, with a clear vision for evangelism in the Province of York,
able to see new patterns of ministry for new situations, and a
strategist and decision-maker.
A man of proven parish experience, committed to a collaborative style of
leadership (delegation not abdication).
Leading the Church of England, and modelling a collaborative leadership
style, in partnership with the Archbishop of Canterbury.
An accessible and openhearted pastor, gifted in raising the level of
expectancy. A Chief Pastor of the Province and Diocese.
A focus of unity, a bridge-builder and reconciler, in a diverse and
multi-faith society, and a 'watchman for the north': a man able to
communicate the Gospel with imagination, and with a concern for the poor
and for social justice.
Archbishop Sentamu comes to the Province of York having grown up in
rural Uganda, spent the first 4 years of his ministry in Cambridge and
Richmond and 14 years in inner city parishes in South London, 6 years as
Bishop for Stepney and 3 years as Bishop for Birmingham - two Episcopal
Sees which contain some of the poorest areas in the country as well as
affluent ones. There, he has also worked to strengthen the church, and
build up the laity in confidence and faith and has also been able to
forge strong links with leaders of other faiths. During his years as a
parish priest, he also served on General Synod and its Standing
Committee and other bodies, being involved in the work of the
Archbishop's Commission on Urban Priority Areas, the Committee for
Minority Ethnic Anglican Concerns, the Decade of Evangelism Steering
Group, and the Archbishops' evangelism initiative, Springboard. As
Bishop for Stepney, he also served on the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry Team
and chaired the Damilola Taylor murder Review.

His stated priorities for ministry have been 'to seek God's rule of
justice, righteousness, peace and love; to be part of God's movement of
change, meeting real concerns with real life; to reach out to all by
standing at the intersection where human need and God's love meet; being
willing to take risks and be vulnerable, the servant of others as Christ
was servant of all; and praying constantly, sharing in God's groanings
and broken heartedness for his world.'

As a 'watchman for the North', as in Birmingham, he continues to be
referred to as Sentamu (Sentamu is his first Christian name),
Archbishop for York, Primate of England and Metropolitan. He is
committed to re-connecting the Church of England with England.

As we welcome the 97th Archbishop for our Province and Diocese, and
Primate of England, the emphasis in this inauguration service is on
prayer and adoration of the Glory of God as together we seek again the
renewing life of his Holy Spirit. On this historic occasion, let us pray
that we may glimpse again the glory of God, seen in the face of Jesus
Christ, be given fresh vision, be renewed in love for one another, and
strengthened to seek and serve Him in the world he came to save.