From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: BIM Issues Prayer Call for Human Rights Abuse,

From "BROWN, Matthew" <Matthew.Brown@abc-usa.org>
Date Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:55:17 -0500

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS)-International Ministries has asked congregations
in ABCUSA to pray for an end to the continued violence, human rights
abuse and even murder of innocent persons in the Philippines. This
violence has been and is being actively resisted by our Baptist partners
and other Christians in that country.

On Nov. 21, the Asian Human Rights Commission issued a report claiming
the military had killed nine peasant farmers and injured many others at
a vigil held for farm land reform.

Rev. Job Santiago, general secretary of the Convention of Philippine
Baptist Churches told IM, "The churches here are raising their voices to
the leaders of the country to stop the killings, human rights
violations, to care of the environment, to propagate and work for the
kind of peace - shalom - that the Lord Jesus showed and gave us."
Santiago said not only peasant farmers, but journalists and even
ministers have been killed.

During a fact-finding tour in July 2005, Western and Filipino church
leaders issued a statement that said over 400 innocent persons had been
killed since President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo had taken office in 2001.

Santiago has asked his "brothers and sisters in the ABC" for their
assistance. "We really need your prayers and solidarity support," he
said.

In response, IM's Rev. Benjamin Chan said "People in the Philippines
have been fighting a very difficult, but courageous battle to reclaim
their basic rights, and a fair distribution of wealth. Our hearts go out
to the innocent victims and their families." Chan, who is IM's area
director for East Asia, and responsible for the ministry partnerships in
the Philippines, added, "We stand with church leaders who are risking
their lives for justice and the foundation of lasting peace."

Two missionaries from IM serve in the Philippines as seminary
professors.

IM is a Baptist mission agency, established in 1914, which serves the
more than 5,800 churches of the American Baptist Churches USA.

Globally, IM relates to more than 500 educational institutions and 125
hospitals and medical facilities. Missionaries work in partnership with
some 15,000 trained national workers, who serve about 22,000
congregations and nearly 3,000,000 baptized members.