From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

8000 'Faithful Americans' urge release of captives

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:16:34 -0500

In 24 hours, 8,000 'Faithful Americans' urge
the release of captured Christian peacemakers

Washington, December 6, 2005 -- In less than 24 hours more than 8,000 persons
added their names to a letter distributed by the National Council of Churches
USA and FaithfulAmerica.org.  The letter, issued by U.S. religious leaders,
calls for the release of the four Christian Peacemaker Team members abducted
last week in Iraq.

The signatories included significant Muslim leaders in the US, including Dr.
Sayeed Sayyid, Secretary General of the Islamic Society of North America;
Sheila Musaji, editor of The American Muslim; Abdul Malik Mujahid, chair of
the Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago and Anwar N. Haddam,
elected Member of Parliament of Algeria (Dec 1991), now living in Virginia.

The call by U.S. Muslim leaders complements an statement released by several
international Muslim leaders yesterday and published in the Muslim
Association of Britain website.

On Monday (Dec.5) the National Council of Churches issued an alert through
its interfaith advocacy ministry,  FaithfulAmerica.org., calling for the
release of the four peace activists.  FaithfulAmerica.org plans to forward
the letter with the signatures to Al Jazeera, the leading Arab News agency in
hopes that its message will reach those holding the four men.

The letter states, "Like us, they too (members of the CPT) opposed the US
attack. They came to serve the Iraqi people. They came not only to urge peace
but also to live peace.  We who have opposed the US invasion and occupation
of Iraq call on all who live in Iraq to seek the release of these people into
safety and freedom. And we call on all people of good will everywhere to join
in this call."

Last year FaithfulAmerica.org produced a television spot that aired on Arab
television in which religious leaders from the U.S. apologized for the prison
abuse scandal. Christian Peacemaker Teams were among the first to unveil the
Abu Ghraib scandal.  More recently the organization has urged Congressional
support for an amendment by Senator John McCain (R-AZ) denouncing torture and
calling for humane treatment of detainees held by U.S. forces.

The letter further states, "Once again, we call for a swift end to the US
occupation of Iraq and for peaceful action by the entire human community to
assist Iraqis to achieve their own self-government. And we send our loving
prayers to those who have become victims of their own loving commitment to
peace, justice, and healing."

The letter can be viewed at www.faithfulamerica.org.

See a related story at http://www.ncccusa.org/news/051206peacemakers.html.

Contact NCC News: Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2252, pjenks@ncccusa.org; or