From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 698-Ethnic caucuses focus on Katrina,

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:48:42 -0600

Ethnic caucuses focus on Katrina, immigration

Dec. 15, 2005

NOTE: Photographs are available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Linda Green*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - Issues of justice and equity must be addressed
as the hurricane-stricken Gulf Coast is rebuilt, according to leaders of
the United Methodist Church's ethnic caucuses.

They agreed they must be vigilant about who is getting what and why.

Meeting Dec. 2-3, the denomination's Interethnic Strategy and
Development Group strategized about how "our faces" can be around the
table of decision makers in the hurricane recovery and rebuilding
process, to ensure fairness to Hurricane Katrina survivors. Group
members also emphasized the importance of being involved in repairing
the destroyed Gulfside Assembly in Waveland, Miss., a historic United
Methodist facility founded by African Americans.

While the "faces" of hurricane victims were primarily African Americans,
numerous other people of color were also severely impacted by Katrina,
said the Rev. Chester Aumua, chairperson of the interethnic group and
pastor of Trinity United Methodist Church in Tacoma, Wash.

"The pictures were all of our faces too, and ...we are putting together
our efforts ... to see what we can do for putting together
reconstruction of that area," he said. "It is a lot of churches
affected, ministries affected. It is not just the physical damage of the
house, trees and roads. It is the ministry."

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita destroyed or damaged more than 112 churches
in Louisiana and Mississippi when they struck in late August and
September.

The interethnic group comprises the chairperson and executive director
of the Native American International Caucus, Methodists Associated
Representing the Cause of Hispanic Americans, Black Methodists for
Church Renewal, the National Federation of Asian American United
Methodists and the Pacific Islander National Caucus of United
Methodists. Directors of the denomination's national ethnic plans and
general agency staff are also members.

The group shares concerns and issues related to the five ethnic caucuses
of the United Methodist Church and seeks common ground where the
caucuses "can work together as one body with open minds, open spirits
and open hearts," to see that no one is left behind, according to Aumua.

Bishop Melvin Talbert, executive director of the black caucus, announced
his leadership of a special commission of the National Council of
Churches for the strategic rebuilding of the Gulf Coast.

"As the church, we cannot sit idly by without giving some oversight to
all kinds of decisions that are being made," he said. "We will be
focusing on justice for people who are the victims and equity in the
rebuilding, so that building contracts are not just awarded to people
who bring in people from the outside and local people are not even a
part of the process."

In other business, the group discussed immigration issues, particularly
the denial of visas to United Methodists from outside the United States
who need to enter the country to attend churchwide meetings.

An effort is under way with the U.S. State Department to address that
issue, so that adults, youth and young people can participate in church
business, according to Kenia Guimaraes, director of central conference
relations for the denomination's Division on Ministries with Young
People. The interethnic group is going to assist in advocacy initiatives
throughout the church to increase awareness of the problem.

Representatives from the ethnic plans also provided updates on church
growth, membership development, training, agency collaboration and
issues impacting their work.

The Rev. Mark Nakagawa, chairperson of the National Federation of Asian
American United Methodists, described the challenge of addressing the
needs and interests of the 10 recognized sub caucuses in the federation.

The broadness and diversity within the Asian community impedes the
federation's work, he said. "Because we have 10 national, recognized
Asian sub-ethnic caucuses, there is the risk and reality of tribalism,"
he said. "Everybody feels the need to support their own community first
and ... the needs of others gets shoved aside. This is where we find
ourselves."

*Green is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in
Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.