From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LWF New Year Message: A Call to Equitable Sharing of Material

From "Frank Imhoff" <Frank.Imhoff@elca.org>
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 03:29:24 -0600

LWF New Year Message: A Call to Equitable Sharing of Material and
Spiritual Resources
Noko Criticizes Progress Notion in "Bigger" and "More"

GENEVA, 22 December 2005 (LWI) * In his 2006 New Year Message, the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF) General Secretary, Rev. Dr Ishmael Noko
calls for reflection on the spirit of giving and what it means to be a
communion of churches seeking to serve Christ by serving each other
especially the poor and vulnerable.

The LWF general secretary counters the assumption that "bigger" and
"more" signal progress by citing the environmental danger of global
warming, and the growing social gap between the rich and the poor,
threatening both the health and stability of communities. "God has
blessed us with enough material resources and spiritual insights for
all. We are called again to reflect on how we share these blessings with
one another," he says.

Turning to the recently concluded World Trade Organization Ministerial
Conference in Hong Kong, China, he likens the debates and negotiations
on international trade there to the global struggles to find a balance
between the "economic value of pure unconstrained competition and the
social and ethical necessity of solidarity."

Noko evokes the spirit of the New Year and Season of Epiphany, and
invites LWF member churches, national committees, and related and
supporting agencies to seek out news ways to effectively serve as God's
faithful witnesses to the gospel, bearing Christ's mission on earth.
(237 words)

The full text of the New Year Message from the LWF General Secretary
follows:

LWF Member Churches
LWF National Committees
Related and supporting agencies

New Year Message from the LWF General Secretary

"He is called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace." This is the one of whom the prophet spoke and who the
three magi were seeking on their journey toward that bright star. They
journeyed with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh for that tiny baby,
our Savior. As we move into the New Year and the Season of Epiphany, we
too find ourselves on a similar journey, each bearing our own gifts. We
recall our achievements and failures, joys and sorrows, and seek new
ways to effectively serve as God's faithful witnesses to the gospel,
bearing Christ's mission on earth.

One of the recent stops on our journey was in the island city of Hong
Kong, China, where government representatives from around the world met
to discuss and resolve issues related to international trade. The
struggles in that meeting were reflective of the world's own struggles
to find a balance between the economic value of pure and unconstrained
competition, and the social and ethical necessity of solidarity.

The false presumptions that "bigger" and "more" are signs of
development has led us to the environmental precipice of global warming,
and similarly to the social chasm of unprecedented inequality between
rich and poor. This threatens both the health and stability of our
communities. God has blessed us with enough material resources and
spiritual insights for all. We are called again to reflect on how we
share these blessings with one another.

As we continue our journey in 2006, we seek to serve the Christ toward
whom we travel by serving each other, especially the poor and most
vulnerable. During this Season of Epiphany, I invite us all, sisters and
brothers in Christ, to reflect upon the spirit of giving and upon what
it means to be a communion of churches. May our lives and service be
true expressions of our desire to follow Christ's example.

In Christ,

Rev. Dr Ishmael Noko
General Secretary
The Lutheran World Federation

Geneva

* * *

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF currently has 140
member churches in 78 countries all over the world, with a total
membership of nearly 66 million. The LWF acts on behalf of its member
churches in areas of common interest such as ecumenical and inter-faith
relations, theology, humanitarian assistance, human rights,
communication, and the various aspects of mission and development work.
Its secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the LWF's information service.
Unless specifically noted, material presented does not represent
positions or opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the
dateline of an article contains the notation (LWI), the material may be
freely reproduced with acknowledgment.]

* * *

LWI online: http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Welcome.EN.html

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
P. O. Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Tel.: +41/22-791 63 69
Fax: +41/22-791 66 30
E-Mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org