From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Progressive Christians To Challenge Disparity During Lobby Days

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:59:18 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Leslie Tune, 202/544-2350, ext. 11 or 202/481-6927

Progressive Christians To "Challenge Disparity" During National Lobby Days

Registration Opens for March 10-13, 2006 Gathering in Nation's Capital for
Ecumenical Advocacy Days for Global Peace with Justice

Washington, D.C., December 21, 2005--Registration has opened for the fourth
annual Ecumenical Advocacy Days for Global Peace with Justice, which will be
held here in the nation's capital, March 11-13, 2006. More than 1,000
Christians are expected to participate in this event making this the largest
national gathering of U.S. grassroots progressive religious activists.

Participants will focus on a broad spectrum of international and domestic
policies and develop strategies and tactics to advocate for building a just
global community that nurtures peace, alleviates poverty, and protects the
integrity of God's creation. In addition, the participants will meet with
their representatives in Congress to communicate their concerns about
domestic and foreign policies that they do not believe reflect Christian
principles.

Of particular concern this year are the increasing numbers of people living
in poverty in the U.S. and abroad and the importance of pursuing sensible and
peaceful solutions to conflicts as well as the need for aid, debt and trade
policies that benefit impoverished people worldwide.

"Perhaps forever blazoned in the minds of the nation and world, will be the
images of those left behind following Hurricane Katrina and the inequities in
terms of racial and economic justice that the crisis exposed," said Rev. Dr.
Robert W. Edgar, General Secretary of the National Council of Churches USA,
one of the organizers of Ecumenical Advocacy Days (see full list below).

"As we gather in March, we will focus our attention on challenging those
disparities while organizing to make a difference in our local communities
and on an international level," said Edgar.

Among the speakers who will address the cadre of Christian leaders and
laypersons that are expected to participate in this event are: Rev. Dr. Suzan
Johnson Cook, who is senior pastor of Believers Christian Fellowship in the
Bronx, New York and president of the 10,000 member Hampton (Virginia)
Ministers' Conference, a body which represents all the historically
African-American denominations, as well as a former domestic policy advisor
under President Bill Clinton; and Rev. Dr. Michael Kinnamon, who is widely
regarded as a leading voice in the ecumenical movement and currently serves
as the Allen and Dottie Miller Professor of Mission and Peace at Eden
Theological Seminary in St. Louis and is the Chair of the National Council of
Churches USA Justice and Advocacy Commission.

This year's theme, "Challenging Disparity: The Promise of God, the Power of
Solidarity" will be the focus of the conference and is based on 1 John
3:16-18 "... This is how we know what real love is: Jesus gave his life for
us. So we should give our lives for our brothers and sisters...My children,
we should love people not only with words and talk, but by our actions and
true caring."

The eight tracks of the conference--Africa, the Middle East, Asia-Pacific,
Latin America, Jubilee and economic justice, global security, eco-justice and
U.S. domestic issues--will be conducted by leading advocates, policy
analysts, religious leaders and other experts.

More than 30 faith-based groups* are sponsoring or supporting this year's
Ecumenical Advocacy Days, which will provide church leaders, laypersons and
others interested in advocacy, with a mix of worship, music, prayer, issue
briefings, plenary speakers and advocacy training workshops, capped with
visits to U.S. Senators and Representatives or their key staff (*see below
for complete list). In 2005, almost 900 advocates representing a wide range
of churches and organizations worldwide gathered for Ecumenical Advocacy
Days. Because of compelling local, national and global issues, organizers are
expecting an even stronger turnout this year.

Pastors, ministers, seminary students, laypersons and others in the faith
community are invited to register for this exciting opportunity to connect
with peers, rededicate their efforts, and hone their advocacy skills. For
more information and to register, go to www.advocacydays.org, email
info@advocacydays.org or (202) 230-2276.

###

EDITOR'S NOTE: Media should contact Leslie Tune, NCC Washington Communication
Officer, 202/544.2350, ext. 11, 202/481.6927 or Ltune@ncccusa.org.

2006 Ecumenical Advocacy Days Sponsors and Supporters:

? Africa Faith and Justice Network
? American Friends Service Committee
? Catholic Conference of Major Superiors of Men's Institutes
? Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
? Church of the Brethren Witness/Washington Office
? Church World Service
? Churches' Center for Theology and Public Policy
? Churches for Middle East Peace
? Episcopal Church USA
? Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
? Faithful America
? Franciscan Friars - Holy Name Province
? Franciscan Friars, OFM Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation ESC-Council

? Friends Committee on National Legislation
? Interfaith Committee for Nuclear Disarmament
? Interfaith Working Group on Trade & Investment
? Jubilee USA Network
? Latin America Working Group
? Lutheran World Relief
? Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns
? Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate Justice and Peace/Integrity of
Creation Office
? National Council of Churches USA
? NETWORK: A National Catholic Social Justice Lobby
? Oikocredit USA
? Presbyterian Church (USA)
? Reformed Church in America
? Sisters of Mercy of the Americas
? Stand With Africa
? United Church of Christ
? United Methodist Church (UMC)
? UMC - General Board of Church and Society
? UMC - General Board of Global Ministries Women?s Division
? Washington Office on Africa