From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Brethren clergywomen =E2=80=98nourish the soul=E2=80=99 at retreat

From COBNews@aol.com
Date Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:58:01 EST

Date: Jan. 5, 2006
Contact: Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
V: 847/742-5100 F: 847/742-6103
E-MAIL: _CoBNews@AOL.Com_ (mailto:CoBNews@AOL.Com)

BRETHREN CLERGYWOMEN âNOURISH THE SOULâ AT RETREAT

Jan. 5, 2006 (Elgin, IL) -- More than 60 Church of the Brethren clergywomen
gathered in south-central Wisconsin Nov. 14-17 for a retreat on the theme,
"Nourishing the Soul." The event was sponsored by the Ministry Office of the
Church of the Brethren General Board and attracted licensed and ordained
ministers from across the US.

The group included women of all ages, students at Bethany Theological
Seminary in Richmond, Ind., active pastors, denominational and district staff,
retirees--and a baby. Liz Bidgood-Enders, a member of the planning committee,
brought her infant daughter along. The planning committee also included Kelly
Burk, Mary Jo Flory-Steury, Kristin Haberzetle, Nancy Knepper, Linda
Lewis, Cara
McCallister, and Myrna Long Wheeler.

Leadership was provided by Jan Richardson, with a focus on scriptural
depictions of spiritual nourishment. Richardson is a United Methodist artist, poet,
and ordained minister and visiting artist at First United Methodist Church
of Winter Park, Fla. Her several books include "Sacred Journeys" and
"Night
Visions."

"For most of us, if not all of us, it's no easy task just to get here,"
Richardson told the group. For busy clergywomen--many of whom are mothers,
wives,
daughters, or work second jobs in addition to serving the church--she
focused on images of hunger and sustenance. "Sometimes it's a challenge to let
ourselves seek comfort," she said, to nods of agreement from many. "Open your
mouth wide and I will fill it," Richardson quoted from Psalm 81:10, emphasizing
that the retreat was an opportunity to be fed spiritually as well as
emotionally and physically with good food, fellowship, and time for rest and
relaxation.

"Sustenance comes in a variety of ways," including in the form of "Christ
the Word," Richardson said. "Each of us is given a word (that) may shift and
change over time as we come to a deeper understanding of our calling." Using
words and images from her work, illuminations from medieval manuscripts, and
writings of women mystics, she examined ways that women search for sustenance
from God. In times of creative meditation using decorative papers--Richardson
is known for paper collages--she invited the women to be open to the Holy
Spirit and to where the textures, colors, and designs of the papers led them.
"God may have a challenge in store for you these days...to go in some direction
that you hadn't counted on going," she said.

The retreat also included workshops and informal times of sharing. A
chocolate fountain--filled with 16 pounds of melted chocolate to be dipped up by an
array of fruit, nuts, and cakes--brought "oohs" and "aahs" from those who
gathered for the first evening's "snack and chat."

At a camp fire, held indoors because of the first snowfall of the season,
several women shared their stories of calling to ministry. In another time of
sharing, participants talked about what the retreat meant to them. "For me it
has been eye-opening and empowering," said a young seminary student. Another
student said she was stimulated by "the heartfelt passion for ministry and for
God." "We didn't know how hungry we were because we haven't been putting out
the feast," said one pastor. She looked forward to returning to her
congregation, saying, "now I want to go put out the feast."

Love feast the final morning began with a time of confession before
breakfast. A brunch filled in as the fellowship meal. "When we walked from our
worship space over to breakfast, we did that in silence," said Mary Jo
Flory-Steury, executive director of the Ministry Office. "However, we did not eat in
silence! We enjoyed good fellowship," she added.

For communion, the women were invited to dip bread into honey. Scriptures
referring to honey as a symbol of the nourishment God offers were read
throughout the retreat: "...The ordinances of the Lord are true and righteous
altogether....sweeter also than honey..." (Psalm 19:9b-10).

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to
continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its faith in
community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith
traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates its 300th
anniversary in 2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United
States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil,
the
Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria.

# # #

For more information contact:

Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
Director of News Services
Church of the Brethren General Board
1451 Dundee Ave.
Elgin, IL 60120
847-742-5100 ext. 260
_cbrumbaugh-cayford_gb@brethren.org_
(mailto:cbrumbaugh-cayford_gb@brethren.org)

The Church of the Brethren Newsline is produced by Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford,
director of news services for the Church of the Brethren General Board.
Newsline stories may be reprinted provided that Newsline is cited as the source.
To receive Newsline by e-mail, write _cobnews@aol.com_
(mailto:cobnews@aol.com) or call 800-323-8039 ext. 260.