From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: ABCUSA Urges Continued Prayers Following Mining Disaster

From "BROWN, Matthew" <Matthew.Brown@abc-usa.org>
Date Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:57:50 -0500

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS)-As fear for the miners trapped in Sago Mine,
Tallmansville, W.Va., has turned to grief at the death of 12 miners,
American Baptists across the country are encouraged to continue praying
for the victims' families and American Baptist churches helping the
communities deal with the tragedy.

Sago Baptist Church, near the mine, ministered to families as a
gathering place while they awaited word of loved ones' fate. Pastors of
local churches ministered by their presence and church members served
food and showed their solidarity with miners' family members.

The American Baptist area minister for Sutton, W.Va., Dr. Maxwell Hill,
described the situation as one where the entire community feels the
grief. He mentioned that Martin (Junior) Toler, a deacon at Stump Chapel
in Sutton, W.Va., who died in the mine, was especially active in West
Virginia Baptist Convention life. The Convention's executive minister,
Dr. David Carrico, said, "Good, supportive churches are close to the
situation and the region is ready to support them as much as possible."

By way of denominational support, American Baptist Churches USA General
Secretary, Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, said, "We appreciate the ministry of
Sago Baptist Church and Pastor Wease Day at a time of great difficulty,
and we hold up in prayer the church and this servant of God as they
shepherd a community deeply stricken with grief. We grieve, as well, for
the families who lost relatives in this disaster, and we pray for the
recovery of the young man who survived. Christ would have us include in
our prayers, too, the rescue team and the company that owns Sago Mine,
for no one touched by this disaster is without pain and struggle. May
God's hand bring comfort to all."

With regard to material support, National Ministries' executive
director, Rev. Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III, said National
Ministries' Office of Disaster Relief stands ready to provide
assistance, when needs are identified, with funds contributed by
American Baptists through One Great Hour of Sharing. "At times such as
these, our actions are the embodiment of God's love reaching out to
those in despair. We pray and care for our brothers and sisters in
Christ to prove that God, indeed, does not forsake us, even in the
darkest night."

Condolences to the families and communities affected by the recent
tragedy may be sent to Rev. John Simmons, associate executive minister
of Missions and Administration, West Virginia Baptist Convention: P.O.
Box 1019, Parkersburg, WV 26102-1019, or via e-mail to
jsimmons@wvbc.org. He will forward these through the appropriate
channels.

Matthew Brown
Webmaster