From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Domestic disaster response plan bolstered by ERD

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:33:30 -0500

Wednesday, January 11, 2005

Domestic disaster response plan bolstered by ERD

New role to assist Episcopal dioceses

ENS 011106-1

[ENS, Source: ERD] Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD) is creating
a new domestic disaster program in response to the Episcopal Church's
Executive Council resolution that calls for the development and
implementation of an Office of Disaster Planning.

The program will be headed by a director for Domestic Disaster Response,
a new role created by ERD to assist dioceses throughout the Episcopal
Church in designing a disaster preparedness plan. The director would
also oversee the implementation of ERD's long-term Hurricane Katrina
recovery program through diocesan partners in the Gulf Coast region.

"This is the beginning of a new and important chapter for ERD," said
Robert W. Radtke, ERD's president. "In answering Executive Council's
call, we want to shape a ministry that will serve the diverse range
of challenges disasters bring -- from the initial crisis to long-term
rehabilitation. Each disaster is unique and the challenges each present
are hard to anticipate in advance. We plan to build on our successful
model of using an integrated community development partnership to shape a
program that is flexible and adaptable to each disaster and each diocese."

Radtke outlined the new position during committee sessions of Executive
Council, meeting January 9-12 in Des Moines, Iowa. Council members
applauded the initiative, originally launched in Council's Congregations
in Ministry Committee, chaired by the Very Rev. Cynthia Black.

Through diocesan partners, ERD's domestic disaster response program
provides immediate needs such as food, water, and shelter to people left
most vulnerable after natural and human-made disasters. Once the emergency
is over, ERD works with partners to develop a long-term recovery program
to address the needs of marginalized populations disproportionately
affected by the disaster.

In addition to coordinating the Hurricane Katrina program with Diocese of
Louisiana's Office of Disaster Response and Lutheran Episcopal Services
in Mississippi, the role of the director for Domestic Disaster Response
also includes: conducting an inventory of diocesan and congregational
disaster response work over the past two years; linking dioceses and
ERD to preparedness networks at the local, state, and national level,
and coordinating psychosocial trauma training for clergy and lay leaders.

The successful candidate's qualifications should include at least eight
years of experience in domestic disaster response and extensive experience
in developing and managing budgets, projects, and financial systems.

For a full job description and application instructions,
please visit the Episcopal Church's website at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/hr_70656_ENG_HTM.htm.

Episcopal Relief and Development is the international relief and
development agency of the Episcopal Church of the United States. An
independent 501(c) (3) organization, ERD saves lives and builds hope in
communities around the world. We provide emergency assistance in times
of crisis and rebuild after disasters. We enable people to climb out of
poverty by offering long-term solutions in the areas of food security
and health care, including HIV/AIDS and malaria.

-- To SUBSCRIBE to enslist, send a blank email message, from the address
which you wish subscribed, to: join-enslist@epicom.org

The enslist is published by Episcopal News Service:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>From time to time, ENS provides information and resources which we
consider to be of interest to our readers. However, statements and
opinions expressed in the articles and communications herein, are those
of the author(s) and not necessarily those of ENS or the Episcopal Church.