From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] TV evangelist apologizes for remarks about Sharon

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:44:49 -0600

Note #9064 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

06011
Jan. 13, 2006

TV evangelist apologizes
for remarks about Sharon

by Michele Green
Ecumenical News International

JERUSALEM - Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson has sent a letter to the son
of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, apologizing for suggesting that
Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for withdrawing from the Gaza Strip.

"I ask your forgiveness and the forgiveness of the people of Israel
for saying what was clearly insensitive at the time," Robertson wrote in a
letter to Sharon's son, Omri.

Sharon is fighting for his life at a Jerusalem hospital after
suffering a stroke last week that could leave him severely impaired.

The day after the stroke, Robertson suggested on his "700 Club"
program that the illness was punishment from God for Israel's pullout from
Gaza. The withdrawal is seen by some Christian groups as a betrayal of
Biblical promises of Jewish sovereignty over the Holy Land.

"My zeal, my love of Israel and my concern for the future safety of
your nation led me to make remarks which I can now view in retrospect as
inappropriate and insensitive," Robertson wrote.

Israeli Tourism Minister Avraham Hirchson said Robertson's remarks
had provoked him to cancel a $50 million deal with Robertson to build a
Christian park by the Sea of Galilee.