From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Extremism too close for comfort

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:37:55 -0600

Note #9070 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

06018
Jan. 16, 2006

Extremism too close for comfort

Political agenda, threats spoiled realm of marshmallows and 'Kum Ba Yah'

by Derek Maul
Special to The Tampa Tribune
Reprinted with permission (published: Jan 5, 2006)

Editor's note: Derek Maul, a Presbyterian free-lance writer who has written
for the Presbyterian News Service and Presbyterians Today magazine, wrote
this piece shortly after a church camp supported by Peace River and Tampa Bay
presbyteries was forced by threats of violence to cancel a leadership event
for Muslim youth (see story #06010, Jan. 12). - Jerry L. Van Marter

TAMPA, FL - My friends run a church camp. You remember church camp?
Campfires, marshmallows, best friends, starlit nights. "Kum Ba Yah," holding
hands, cookouts, rain every day.

Church camp. You know, the place that's all about people coming
together, prayer, hugs, surmounting barriers, spiritual breakthroughs,
learning to listen to God. It's about as far away from politics as you can
get. Or at least it should be.

Last week my friends had their lives and their children threatened
and their patriotism questioned. They had to close the church camp and take
their children to a safe place. They had to make other arrangements for a
group of - this is ironic - international students, visitors from overseas
celebrating Christmas and learning about America.

So why did my friends and their guests have to leave in such a hurry?
Because their safety and their lives were threatened by Americans who wanted
to carry a political agenda into the realm of marshmallows and "Kum Ba Yah."

Here are the facts: Church camps tend not to operate at capacity all
year long, so my friends embraced an opportunity to bring in much-needed
revenue while exposing people of varied backgrounds to a Christian retreat
center, Camp Cedarkirk in Lithia, in a beautiful natural setting.

International House college students from all over America traveled
to Tampa to enjoy the beautiful outdoors and spend Christmas and New Year's
with host families, who also took them to church.

Separately, the Muslim American Society of Tampa made reservations
for a New Year's weekend peacemaking retreat. The society provided copies of
its curriculum ahead of time and invited camp staff to be present.

On Dec. 29, guest host Stuart Varney, on the Fox News show "Your
World with Neil Cavuto," interviewed a blogger, Joe Kaufman, chairman of
Americans Against Hate. Kaufman repeated allegations he had made on his Web
site that the Presbyterian camp in Lithia was hosting a "jihad terrorist
retreat."

My friends immediately called local and federal authorities and were
assured there was nothing questionable about providing the meeting site for
the Muslim American Society of Tampa and its speakers.

The damage, however, had been done.

There are voices in America intent on spreading hatred and creating
division. When these voices are given credibility via news outlets such as
Fox, the repercussions can be dark and far-reaching.

The big crime at church camp last week turned out to be that of
extending Christian hospitality to Muslims, singing around the campfire in
harmony with people of other faiths, and promoting peace and understanding in
the name of Jesus Christ.

Remember Jesus? Jesus is the one who said things like, "Blessed are
the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God" and "Peace I leave
with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do
not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

When my friends are persecuted - here in America - for practicing the
tenets of their faith, then I have to confess it becomes easy to see where my
heart may be troubled.

Not to mention a little afraid.