From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 025-Liberia's new president vows to work for

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:00:40 -0600

Liberia's new president vows to work for change

Jan. 17, 2006

NOTE: Photographs are available with this report at http://umns.umc.org.

By Kathy L. Gilbert*

MONVORIA, Liberia (UMNS) - Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, the 23rd president of
Liberia, pledged to work for economic stability, create a brighter
future for youth and children and empower women in her inauguration
speech Jan. 16.

"We will work to change," she said.

The first woman elected head of state in Africa, Johnson-Sirleaf
acknowledged many challenges lie ahead for her country.

"I understand what you ordinary citizens go through each day," she said,
speaking to her people.

"I applaud the resilience of our people, who have been dehumanized by
poverty and shackled by 14 years of civil war, who had the courage to go
to the polls and vote - not once but twice - for me and Vice President
Joseph Nyuma Boakai."

Under cloudy skies, the new president began by reflecting on her two
illiterate grandmothers and parents who taught her "to be what I am
today." She also called for a moment of silent prayer.

An active member of First United Methodist Church, Johnson-Sirleaf spoke
of her faith several times during her 40-minute speech. On Sunday, Jan.
15, a thanksgiving and intercessory service was held at her church and
officiated by Liberian Bishop John Innis and Bishop Peter Weaver,
president of the United Methodist Council of Bishops. Weaver presented
Johnson-Sirleaf with a Bible signed by the bishops of the church.

On the grounds of the Capitol, heads of state and dignitaries from many
nations of the world came to pay their respects to Johnson-Sirleaf and
show support for Liberia. First lady Laura Bush - also a United
Methodist - headed a U.S. delegation.

"I am touched by those you see," Johnson-Sirleaf said, looking around at
those gathered. "Our dear brothers and sisters from the United States,
headed by the wife of President George Bush, I pay homage and
respectfully welcome you."

Johnson-Sirleaf made a special point of thanking West Africans who "died
for us and denied yourselves to assist and pray for us."

In a statement given to the press, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan
congratulated the people of Liberia for a peaceful and transparent
electoral process. The establishment of the democratically elected
government brings a close to the two-year transitional period in the
peace agreement signed in 2003.

The new president faces a number of challenges, including restructuring
security, strengthening the economy, protecting human rights and
establishing basic services such as electricity and running water.
Liberia's civil war decimated most of the country's infrastructure.

Liberians have high expectations for their new president, and
Johnson-Sirleaf said she will work to put Liberia's economic house "back
in order."

"We need to put Liberians back to work and bring our economic and
financial house in order."

Johnson-Sirleaf extended a hand of friendship to those who ran against
her in the election, at one point speaking directly to George Weah, her
closest opponent, who attended the inauguration.

"I believe democracy is best served when the opposition is strong and
actively engaged," she said.

She asked those Liberians who had fled the country during the war to
return and join in rebuilding the nation. She also said she would help
those living in refugee camps rebuild their lives.

"Your job as citizens is to work for family and your country," she said.
"The government's job is to work for you."

Johnson-Sirleaf promised the days of terror by corrupt chief executives
were over and said "corruption will be enemy No. 1" in her
administration. She pledged that everyone in her administration would be
required to declare their assets. "I will be the first to comply," she
said to the applause of those in attendance.

"I am a president for all the people," she said. "No one in my
administration will pursue any vendettas, and we will have no policy of
exclusion."

Before ending her speech, Johnson-Sirleaf closed with words for the
women of Liberia, Africa and the world.

"Women have endured injustices and inhumane treatment ... yet it is the
women who have labored and advocated for peace."

She thanked the women in Liberia who "had an unmatched passion" for her
candidacy. She said she would work to make sure women had their proper
place in the economic process.

She ended on a determined note. "We are good, we are kind, we are
forgiving and we are God's. ... We have a future of promise and hope,
and we will not fail."

*Gilbert is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in
Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470
or newsdesk@umcom.org.