From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Interfaith 'common cause' central as Presiding Bishop visits

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:04:00 -0500

Episcopal News Service
Daybook, January 20, 2006 -- Friday Forum

Interfaith 'common cause' central as Presiding Bishop visits Los Angeles

Baha'is offer panel; Presbyterians host ordination; Armenian Orthodox
Archbishop preaches on shared mission

By Pat McCaughan

[Photographs accompanying this article are available online at:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_71037_ENG_HTM.htm]

[ENS, Los Angeles] A sense of common cause that unites faith traditions
was
central during Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold's January 13-16 visit to
Los
Angeles, where some 30 interfaith leaders were among honored guests for
diocesan ordination service and an evening panel discussion.

"A fundamental unity transcends our traditions," Griswold told the panel
gathering of some 250 people hosted by the Los Angeles Baha'i Center at
its
headquarters near L.A.'s Crenshaw district. "We are enriched as we seek
ways
in which to make common cause for the good of our communities and this
nation."

The Presiding Bishop's visit, hosted by Diocesan Bishop Jon Bruno,
ushered
in the annual Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, observed January 18-25
with the theme "Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there
among
them," from Matthew 18:20. The annual observance is an outreach of the
World
Council of Churches, which represents 347 churches in 120 countries.

"Society is longing for direction and searching for answers," said
Randolph
Dobbs, Baha'i Center administrator and coordinator for the panel
gathering.
"Much of what people seek can be found within the walls of neighborhood
churches, temples, mosques and other places of worship."

Other panelists included Dr. Muzzammil Siddiqi of the Islamic Society of
North America; the Venerable Wolpola Piyananda, of the Darma Vijaya
Buddhist
Temple and the Buddhist Sangha Council of Southern California; Rabbi
Harold
Schulweiss of Congregation Valley Beth Shalom in Encino, California;
Swami
Atmavidyananda of the Vedanta Society of Southern California; the Hon.
James
Nelson and the Hon. Dorothy Nelson, both leaders in the National
Spiritual
Assembly of the Baha'is of the United States. A judge of the U.S. Court
of
Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Dorothy Nelson is also a former dean of
the
University of Southern California's law school.

Addressing the gathering, Griswold recalled an experience in Jerusalem
some
years ago when he prayed at the tomb of Abraham in Hebron and noticed
Muslim
men studying the Koran to his left and Jewish women praying to his
right. "I
thought, here we are, the three children of Abraham," he said. "We exist
with a common Parent to make sure none of us feels we have the absolute
corner on God's truth."

The panel's topic was "Religion as the Dynamic Force in a Changing
World."
The theme was also echoed in meditations led by area clergy, including
Episcopal priests Susan Klein of St. Alban's Church, Westwood/UCLA, and
Glenn Libby, chaplain at the University of Southern California.

"Religion is already a dynamic force in a changing society," said
panelist
James Nelson, a retired L.A. County Superior Court judge.
"Unfortunately,
the dynamic tends to be of division, separation, exclusivity. We have to
change that dynamic."

"Each of us has a particular language, narrative, memories," said
Schulweiss, a rabbi well known for his popular talks and writings. "But
one
thing is clear to me. God didn't create Judaism, Christianity, Islam,
Hinduism, Buddhism, any religion. God created all of us and gave us
wisdom
and heart to discover godliness. We are choosers to go beyond the
rhetoric
of oneness. We have to do away with sibling rivalry, the notion that
'God
loves me more.' We have to relinquish the notion that there are certain
people who are elect, certain people who are chosen, that certain people
have absolute truth. That kind of absolutism is deleterious to
everything we
talk about. Can we say, you are not chosen and another rejected, we are
all
choosers?"

The role of women in various faith traditions is just one example of the
way
religions adapt to a changing social context, said Atmavidyananda. "The
caste system has been outmoded, it is being abolished," he said. "We
have
promoted the rights of women, and updated the idea of what karma yoga
is."

Schulweiss agreed: "Judaism is an evolving religious civilization. The
text
may be the same. The truth of the matter is, what's important is
interpretation. There was a time when a woman couldn't ascend the
religious
platform, be counted in a quorum, could not serve as a rabbi or cantor.
Now
we are much more liberal and accepting of the role of women. The only
thing
constant in religion is change.

"This also means acceptance of the gay community," he said. "Much of the
treatment and rhetoric has been harmful, callous, cruel. We are glad to
see
within the Jewish community more and more appreciation of gay life. If
you
want to be inclusive you have to include everyone, including the person
who
doesn't believe in God-the atheist, the agnostic."

>From the Buddhist tradition, Piyananda said the spiritual journey is an
ongoing process of continual enlightenment about oneself and one's
surroundings.

Griswold pointed to life's constant process of discovery, noting that
"the
unfolding of the Spirit of Truth doesn't work solely within religious
construct. It works within the world.

"Views of the cosmos once sent people to prison at the hands of the
clergy,"
he added. "Things in the Scripture described as demonic we now know were
epilepsy. We are always learning more . . . We are all under
construction,
and my prayer is that we be faithful to that process."

Siddiqi agreed that religious texts should be interpreted within the