From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

FEATURE: Norwegian Free Church Ordains First Female Pastor

From "Frank Imhoff" <Frank.Imhoff@elca.org>
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:59:48 -0600

FEATURE: Norwegian Free Church Ordains First Female Pastor
Hospital Chaplain Katrine Bratane Begins Her Dream Job

OSLO, Norway/GENEVA, 24 January 2006 (LWI) - Fifteen years ago Katrine
Bratane was treated at Sunnaas Rehabilitation Hospital (SRH) in Nesodden
outside Norway's capital city, Oslo. Since 16 January 2006 she is back
there, but this time round as the first woman in the Evangelical
Lutheran Free Church of Norway (ELFCN) to work as a hospital chaplain.

"I've been dreaming of a job like this for a long time and I'm so
grateful for this opportunity. In this line of work you meet people in a
very fragile period of their lives, and you can show them that there is
hope," 26-year-old Bratane told Budbaereren, the ELFCN bi-weekly
newspaper.

Her January 22 ordination in Oslo was also a first in the ELFCN, which
amended its constitution in July 2005 to allow the church and its
congregations to call women for ordination as pastors or elders. Four to
five other women will be ordained in the first half of 2006.

The over 21,000-member ELFCN holds full membership in the Lutheran
World Federation (LWF) since September 2005. It was an associate LWF
member church since 1997.

Strengthening Diaconal Ministry

"I was surprised when the synod board contacted me with the job offer,
but it's great that the Free Church also focuses on diaconal ministry
now," Bratane said of the call to serve in part-time position at the
hospital, where she also spent four weeks as an intern during her
theological studies.

The synod board was unanimous about hiring Bratane, a member of
Kraftverket congregation. "For a long time we have wanted to strengthen
our diaconal ministry," said ELFCN Synod President, Rev. Arnfinn
Loeyning. "Bratane is an amazing gift to our church. It was exciting to
present her with the opportunity to work as a hospital chaplain - talk
about fitting right in. We really feel that she does," added Loeyning,
who led the ordination service.

Pastoral Role an Advantage

At the age of eleven, Bratane was paralyzed from the shoulders down
after she was hit by a truck while horse riding. In 2002, she won a
historic victory in the case against her insurance company, enabling her
to meet financial requirements for the help she needs on a daily basis.

The SRH chaplain feels her situation - getting around in a wheelchair,
needing assistance with everything - might be an advantage in her new
workplace. "I have had my share of hardships, and therefore I think I
have an advantage. People can see that I haven't just cruised through
life without problems. But as a pastor I have to consider each
individual and see how I can help them," she added.

As hospital chaplain, Bratane's responsibilities include patient
counseling, and being available for patients who want to talk about
their situation.

Established in 1954 as a university hospital for rehabilitation, the
SRH is a 128-bed specialized health institution providing different
kinds of comprehensive and multidisciplinary rehabilitation programs for
patients who have suffered complex injuries following accidents, or
after strokes. (511 words)

(By Ingunn O. Mercer, ELFCN information department.)

* * *

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF currently has 140
member churches in 78 countries all over the world, with a total
membership of nearly 66 million. The LWF acts on behalf of its member
churches in areas of common interest such as ecumenical and inter-faith
relations, theology, humanitarian assistance, human rights,
communication, and the various aspects of mission and development work.
Its secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the LWF's information service.
Unless specifically noted, material presented does not represent
positions or opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the
dateline of an article contains the notation (LWI), the material may be
freely reproduced with acknowledgment.]

* * *

LWI online: http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Welcome.EN.html

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.69
Fax: (41.22) 791.66.30
Editor: pmu@lutheranworld.org