From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Nominees named for election of 26th Presiding Bishop

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:20:16 -0500

Episcopal News Service
Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Nominees named for election of 26th Presiding Bishop

[ENS] Note to Readers: Following is the full text of a news release from
the
Joint Nominating Committee for the Election of the Presiding Bishop. A
subsequent ENS release will convey photographs and biographical
information
about the nominees. This text appears in Spanish at
http://www.iglesiaepiscopal.org.

The Joint Nominating Committee for the Election of the Presiding Bishop
is
pleased to announce the names of those bishops it will place in
nomination
for Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, to succeed the Most Rev.
Frank
Griswold. These names will be formally submitted to the General
Convention
at a joint session on June 18, 2006, the day prior to the day appointed
for
the election of the 26th Presiding Bishop by the House of Bishops. The
Nominees are:

The Rt. Rev. J. Neil Alexander, Bishop of Atlanta
The Rt. Rev. Edwin F. Gulick, Jr., Bishop of Kentucky
The Rt. Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, Bishop of Nevada
The Rt. Rev. Henry N. Parsley, Jr., Bishop of Alabama

The Committee is grateful to all those bishops who were willing to be
considered for nomination. The grace with which those bishops considered
entered into discernment with the Committee is a witness to the faithful
ministries each has offered to the Church and a sign of the enduring
health
of our Church.

The discernment process included a Call to Discernment, an initial
questionnaire, interviews with references for all those whose names were
submitted, interviews with those selected for further consideration, and
site visits with those who continued in consideration. At its January
20-22, 2006, meeting the Committee then made the determination to
nominate
these persons.

The Committee consists of 29 persons - a bishop, clergy and lay person
from
each of the nine provinces of the Episcopal Church, elected by the House
of
Bishops, and two young persons appointed by the President of the House
of
Deputies. The Committee has met five times and sub groups have been on
interview teams across the Church.

We have discovered in our work together that our love for the Church and
our
affection for one another have been strengthened in common prayer, in
reflection on the ministry given each of us and in the effort to respond
the challenge God and the Church have placed before us. We are grateful
for
the opportunity to serve the Episcopal Church in this way. Our
nomination
of these persons is presented as a report of the whole Committee and
without
reservation.

Background, medical and psychological examinations were conducted for
all
those nominated.

We believe any of the persons named, if elected, and with God's help and
the
prayerful support of the church, can provide the leadership required in
the
Episcopal Church at this time. We commend these nominees to the Church
and
ask that prayers be offered for them, for the Bishops at General
Convention
who will elect and for the Deputies who will be asked to consent to the
election. Most especially we ask prayers for the Episcopal Church and
its
leadership and for its continuing ministry among the peoples of the
several
countries it serves in the name of Jesus Christ.

The Committee held its final meeting January 20-22 at the Duncan
Conference
Center, Delray Beach, Florida, and there completed the work required of
it
by the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church. Provided that
there
are no circumstances that would require our meeting prior to General
Convention as a Committee, we will next present ourselves to the General
Convention at the time designated to formally place these persons in
nomination.

The House of Bishops, at its September 2005 meeting, resolved that the
House
will consider only those additional nominations by Bishops or Deputies
the 2006 General Convention that are made with time sufficient to
conduct
the background, medical and psychological examinations required of all
nominees. It has set a date of April 1, 2006, for receipt of those
nominations, which shall be considered nominations from the floor.

Such nominations are to be made in writing to the Bishop Co-Chair of the
Joint Nominating Committee for the Presiding Bishop, the Rt. Rev. Peter
James Lee, and assent must be received in writing by the Bishop so
named.

For further information, contact either of the co-chairs, the Rt. Rev.
Peter
James Lee, pjlee@thediocese.net, or Ms. Diane Pollard, dbpsd4u@aol.com.

Members of the Joint Nominating Committee:

Province One
The Rt. Rev. Gayle E. Harris
The Rev. Thomas J. Brown , Secretary
Mr. Albert T. Mollegen, Jr.

Province Two
The Rt. Rev. Gladstone B. Adams III, Chaplain
The Rev. Jeannette DeFriest
Ms. Diane B. Pollard , Co-Chair

Province Three
The Rt. Rev. Peter James Lee, Co-Chair
The Rev. Canon Mark Harris
Mrs. Jane R. Cosby

Province Four
The Rt. Rev. Duncan M. Gray III
The Rev. E. Claiborne Jones
Mr. Vincent Currie, Jr.

Province Five
The Rt. Rev. Kenneth L. Price, Jr.
The Rev. Dr. Richard L. Tolliver
Dr. Scott E. Evenbeck

Province Six
The Rt. Rev. Bruce Caldwell
The Rev. Ann K. Fontaine, Chaplain
Mr. Don Betts

Province Seven
The Rt. Rev. Don A. Wimberly
The Rev. James P. Haney V
Ms. Sarah J. Knoll

Province Eight
The Rt. Rev. Jerry A. Lamb
The Rt. Rev. Bavi E. Rivera
Mrs. Bettye Jo Harris

Province Nine
The Rt. Rev. David Alvarez
The Rev. Luis F. Ruiz
Ms. Blanca Lucia Echeverry

Appointed Youth Representatives
Ms. Sierra Wilkinson
Mr. Bradley A. Woodall

--
which
you wish subscribed, to: join-enslist@epicom.org

The enslist is published by Episcopal News Service:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>From time to time, ENS provides information and resources which we
consider
to be of interest to our readers. However, statements and opinions
expressed
in the articles and communications herein, are those of the author(s)
and
not necessarily those of ENS or the Episcopal Church.