From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Michael Neils Resigns as Bishop of ELCA Grand Canyon Synod

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:03:13 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 26, 2006

Michael Neils Resigns as Bishop of ELCA Grand Canyon Synod
06-012-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) announced Jan. 26 that Michael
J. Neils, bishop of the ELCA Grand Canyon Synod, resigned as synod bishop and
as an ordained minister of the ELCA.
Neils informed the synod of his resignation in a Jan. 24 letter.
In a Jan. 26 memo to members of the ELCA Church Council and ELCA
Conference of Bishops, Hanson explained that Neils resigned "after admitting
to sexual misconduct with an adult woman and reporting that conduct to me."
At its 1989 Churchwide Assembly, the ELCA committed itself to be a safe place
for all persons.
The Rev. Kathie Bender Schwich, ELCA executive for synodical relations,
traveled to the synod to meet with synod staff and the synod council to help
them manage the crisis and deal with issues of transition, according to
Hanson. He also said that he will travel to the synod Feb. 5 and 6 to meet
with the synod council, staff, clergy and professional lay leaders.
"I am confident that good pastoral care is being provided for Michael,
Cheryl (Neils' wife) and their family," Hanson said. "Ongoing support and
care will also be provided to members of the synod staff and others involved
in this situation. I ask for your prayers for all whose lives have been
affected," he said.
"May the love of God, from which nothing can separate us, guide and keep
us as together we seek healing and renewal," Hanson's memo concluded.
In his letter Neils said his marriage of 35 years was ending and that he
and his wife were to be divorced.
"Part of the reason for the divorce is my own conduct unbecoming the
office of an ordained minister of this church," Neils wrote. "I am guilty of
sexual misconduct with an adult woman." Neils added that he reported his
conduct to Hanson and resigned as Hanson recommended.
"I confess my betrayal of your confidence and God's call. God already
knows my sorrow. Please accept my heartfelt apology," Neils wrote.
Neils asked for prayers for his wife and their two grown children. He
also said he continues to pray for synod staff, the synod council and for
other leaders and members of the synod.
Neils, 56, was elected by the synod assembly in 2001 to a six-year term
as bishop of the ELCA Grand Canyon Synod. The Grand Canyon Synod has 75,096
baptized members in 101 congregations across Arizona and southern Nevada. Its
offices are located in Phoenix.
---
Information about the ELCA Grand Canyon Synod is at
http://www.ELCA-grandcanyon.org/ on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog