From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury Statement - Holocaust Memorial Day

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:10:21 -0800

ACNS 4100 | LAMBETH | 26 JANUARY 2005

Statement by the Archbishop of Canterbury on the occasion of Holocaust Memorial Day 2006

The importance of Holocaust Memorial Day is in its role in continually
bringing to mind the unique significance for Europe in general and for
Christians in particular, of the Holocaust.

It is essential for each generation to be able to enter into the
terrible events of the Holocaust at the level of knowledge and of
feeling and I welcome the Government's grant to the Holocaust
Educational Trust to enable more schools to make a visit to
Auschwitz-Birkenau. While it is true that human history has been stained
by other genocides, including those of our own generation, the events of
the Nazi era stand alone in their nature and causes.

The development of a range of inter religious dialogues in recent years
has been welcome and fruitful, and further new initiatives such as the
Christian Muslim Forum and the work towards a full Hindu Christian
dialogue carry real promise. Nevertheless from a Christian perspective
the dialogue between Christians and Jews is not only historically the
most senior, but is also theologically distinct. The Council of
Christians and Jews, founded in the midst of the terrible events in
Europe of 1942, has done an enormous amount to help many to reconsider
their theological understandings and to develop deep personal
friendships. The many celebrations of the 40th anniversary of Nostra
Aetate (the declaration on Christian-Jewish relations by the second
Vatican Council) last year highlighted the journey that many Christians
and Jews have made together.

2006 is a year of particular significance as it is the 350th anniversary
of the Resettlement of the Jewish community in this country. As a nation
we should celebrate this anniversary, marking as it does, not only an
attempt to right some of the terrible wrongs earlier inflicted on Jewish
people, but also as an opportunity to celebrate the quite remarkable
contributions of Jewish people to every aspect of the life of this
country. Without the Resettlement, it is hard to imagine what our
history, culture, politics and economy would be like today. Without
doubt we would have been greatly the poorer in every respect.

It is all the more appalling that despite these positive developments,
there is an acknowledged and frightening rise in anti Semitic
publications, websites and physical incidents in this country and in
many others. The desecration of Jewish cemeteries in Manchester and
London, a range of hate incidents and the need for security at all
synagogues - these are matters that we cannot ignore. Is it not a matter
of the gravest concern that a religious community in this country must,
on the advice of the police, put in place a range of security measures
for its worship, the education of its children and its social
activities? For what other religious community is this systematically
the case? This is serious enough; but elsewhere in the world, there are
inflammatory, bigoted and irresponsible statements made even by some in
prominent public positions.

I welcome the All-Party Parliamentary Enquiry into rising levels of anti
Semitism in this country and I hope that all religious communities will
make clear to it their abhorrence of anti-Semitism and the measures they
are taking to ensure that it finds not the smallest foothold in our
churches, mosques gurdwaras or temples.

In this year of the anniversary of the Resettlement, one important mark
of the progress we have made since 1656 will not only be that we can
celebrate what Jewish people and the Jewish faith have so abundantly
given to our society, but more profoundly that we renew our commitment
to the struggle against anti Semitism and its causes.