From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Coretta Scott King: A Beacon of Light

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:22:29 -0500

NCC President remembers Coretta Scott King
as 'a beacon of light and defender of truth'

New York, January 31, 2006 -- The President of the National Council of
Churches USA, the Rev. Michael E. Livingston, has issued the following
statement on the passing of Coretta Scott King:

We are deeply saddened by the news of the death of civil rights leader
Coretta Scott King. She was an unwavering advocate of civil and human rights
and a champion of nonviolence. Her strength and fortitude are to be admired
and emulated. We will forever be grateful for the legacy that she leaves
behind.

Coretta Scott King, widow of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., was a
beacon of light and defender of truth and righteousness. She touched many
lives and we will never forget her tireless efforts to advance the dream and
vision of equality and justice for all people.

Our prayers are with her family and friends as they go through this difficult
time. Our thanks is to God, who blessed us with a treasure in earthen
vessels in the woman who was Coretta Scott King. May she rest in peace and
may we all do our part to honor her life and legacy with our words and
actions.

____
The National Council of Churches USA is composed of 35 Protestant, Anglican,
Orthodox, historic African American and peace communions representing 45
million Christians in 100,000 local congregations in the United States.

Contact NCC News: Leslie Tune, 202-544-2350, ltune@ncccusa.org; or Philip E.
Jenks, 212-870-2252, pjenks@ncccusa.org