From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: American Baptists Mourn the Death of Coretta Scott King

From "BROWN, Matthew" <Matthew.Brown@abc-usa.org>
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:35:59 -0500

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS)-American Baptist leaders today mourn the death
of Coretta Scott King, a leading voice for human rights, and widow of
the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Mrs. King, 78, died last evening
after a period of ill health.

Following her husband's assassination in 1968, Mrs. King continued their
commitment to biblical principles of justice and equality, serving as a
spokesperson for civil rights and ministries of reconciliation. She was
familiar to many American Baptists through participation in various
denominational and ecumenical events.

American Baptist Churches USA General Secretary, the Rev. Dr. A. Roy
Medley, hailed Mrs. King's "eloquent and profound expression of God's
love within society in lifting up the precious gift of human equality."
Medley added, "Over the decades, American Baptists have been especially
moved by Mrs. King and her husband through their participation in
ministries endorsed by this denomination. She was a compassionate voice
for the voiceless, who responded powerfully to Jesus' call to
peacemaking."

The Rev. Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III, executive director of
National Ministries, commented, "Mrs. King, and indeed the entire King
family, sacrificed personal self interest and professional advancement
for the larger social good. When I reflect upon her life and service to
her family, to America and to the larger world community, I am convinced
that the twentieth and twenty-first centuries were blessed by one of our
faith's greatest saints."

"Coretta Scott King was the strength of our nation when her husband was
assassinated," said the Rev. Dr. Leo S. Thorne, Associate General
Secretary for Mission Resource Development. "She helped us with our
sense of profound loss as she bore her grief with royal dignity. Her
quiet presence and faith will be missed among us."

The Rev. Dr. Albert Paul Brinson, former Associate General Secretary for
World Mission Support for ABCUSA, who served in leadership with the
Kings during the civil rights movement, expressed his grief over Mrs.
King's death. "Dr. [Coretta] King was a committed American Baptist whose
life became a standard of strength for people around the world who
celebrate the basic human rights and dignity of all people. She died
modeling the same grace and dignity with which she lived. And now it is
our faith that assures us that she who walked, talked and marched with
so many of us, has earned her rest with the Savior."

Matthew Brown
Webmaster
Office of the General Secretary
American Baptist Churches USA