From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MCC's Rev. Nancy Wilson: On the Death of Coretta Scott King

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:51:54 EST

Public Statement by
The Reverend Nancy L. Wilson
Moderator, Metropolitan Community Churches

Los Angeles, January 31, 2006 -- The Moderator of Metropolitan Community
Churches has issued the following statement on the death of Coretta Scott
King:

Today we join with people of goodwill around the globe who mourn the passing

of civil rights leader Coretta Scott King. As people of faith, we also
celebrate her life and her lasting legacy on behalf of human rights and
nonviolence.

We say with deep conviction: Our world is a better place because of her
life. And the lives of millions are better because of her life's work.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people give special honor to the
commitment she brought to the civil and human rights of our communities.

We will long remember her words on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of
her husband's assassination, "I still hear people say that I should not be
talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the

issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King
Jr.
said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to
everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the
table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people."

And we remember with great affection her presence and support when she spoke

at Metropolitan Community Church of San Francisco, where she echoed her
strong commitment to the human rights of all people, including our own LGBT
people.

Today, we remember her family with our love and prayers and offer thanks to
God for her presence among us. We pray that each of our own lives, committed

to the cause of equality and justice, might be a living legacy to Coretta
Scott King's life and a testimony to her abiding work.

As Moderator of Metropolitan Community Churches, I ask that prayers on
behalf of her family and in celebration of her life be offered during public

worship in Metropolitan Community Churches around the world this Sunday.

/signed/
The Reverend Nancy L. Wilson
Office of the Moderator
Metropolitan Community Churches

NOTE: A prayer honoring the life of Coretta Scott King, authored by Rev.
Elder Darlene Garner, will be posted on-line at _www.MCCchurch.org_
(aoldb://mail/write/www.MCCchurch.org) on Thursday, February 2, 2006

For Additional Information, Contact:
MCC Communications Department