From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Metropolitan Community Churches: On The U.S. State of the Union

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:44:54 EST

Statement By The Reverend Nancy L. Wilson
Office of the Moderator, Metropolitan Community Churches
_www.MCCchurch.org_ (http://www.MCCchurch.org)

On The State of the Union Address
by the President of the United States

For far too many Americans, the President's declaration that, "The state of
our union is strong," is far removed from their everyday experience.

The reality is this: So long as millions of our citizens live beneath the
poverty level and are denied access to quality healthcare, out union is not
strong. So long as the U.S.' reputation in the world deteriorates and so
long as
our nation remains divided by a war that is not supported by a majority of
people in either country -- a war that continues to claim a horrifying
number
of lives -- our union is not strong. And so long as civil liberties are
endangered at unprecedented levels, our union is not strong.

Coretta Scott King was right, when in echoing the words of her late husband
she said, "We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny." So long

as any people are left behind, our nation's garment is frayed and in need of

mending -- and our union is not strong.

And regrettably, the U.S. President's State of the Union Address once again
failed to acknowledge the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
(LGBT) persons in the United States.

Despite the promise of the U.S. Constitution to "establish Justice...and to
secure the blessing of Liberty to ourselves and to our Posterity," the
reality is that millions of LGBT people live our day-to-day lives without
the full
legal rights and protections accorded to most citizens.

-- In most of the United States,

LGBT people are denied the right to marriage equality, and to the benefits
provided by civil marriage law.

-- In most of the United States, LGBT people are still not accorded full
legal protection from discrimination in their employment.

-- In most of the United States, our transgender brothers and sisters are
denied legal protections based upon gender variance, and horrific hate
crimes
against transgender people, including murder at alarming rates, too often
fly
beneath the radar of civil authorities and media coverage.

-- In most of the United States, LGBT couples are not afforded standardized

and equal rights under a patchwork of adoption laws, and in many places,
LGBT couples face overt hostility from adoption laws.

-- In most of the United States, government at every level too often ignores

the plight of LGBT teens, who experience high rates of discrimination in our

nation's schools, and experience higher rates of depression, attempted
suicide, and homelessness than their counterparts.

-- In the United States, the nation's immigration laws devalue our LGBT
relationships, and place undue and unnecessary hardships on LGBT couples,
and
unjustly treat persons with HIV and AIDS.

-- Despite the alarming new rise of HIV and AIDS among people of color,
women, and youth, the U.S. government continues to under-fund HIV
prevention,
research, and treatment. And for far too many, HIV medications are often
difficult and too expensive to obtain; for them, words and promises are too
little
too late.

It is appropriate on this day that marks the passing of Coretta Scott King
to also remember her words, "We are all tied together in a single garment of

destiny...I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what

you ought to be. I've always felt that homophobic attitudes and policies
were
unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be opposed by all Americans
who believe in democracy."

Until all people -- including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people
-- are afforded full equality under all the laws of the United States, the
"state of our union" is not strong. The reality for millions of Americans is

that this nation, which is a work in progress, has not yet lived up to the
promise of its founding creeds.

Until equality and justice are realities for all people, we must not be
silent. I urge all people of goodwill to renew our commitment to speak truth
power, to address injustice, and to act on behalf of all who are yet denied
the promise of this nation's founding vision.

This much I know:

Our union will be stronger when we speak out for those who are still left
behind, and when we work to bring justice and equality to all people.

/signed/
The Reverend Nancy L. Wilson
Office of the Moderator
Metropolitan Community Churches