From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS Anglican News Digest 03 Feb 2006

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:47:45 -0800

ACNS Anglican News Digest 03 Feb 2006

The following is a roundup of the recent ACNS Digest stories, with reports from the Lambeth, USA, South India, New Zealand and the Middle East. The ACNS Digest can be found here:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm

(562) 03-February-2006 - Archbishop's Speech for Ceremony at Dietrech Bonhoeffer Memorial - Lambeth

In the course of his life, Dietrich Bonhoeffer spent significant time in many very different European contexts - notably in Spain, Britain, Italy and Scandinavia - as well as in the USA. He could reasonably have thought of himself as a citizen of Europe, or indeed of the world. Yet he chose unambiguously to identify with the fate of his own people, and resisted any temptations to settle elsewhere and to take refuge in a safe place that would have spared him the harsh decisions posed by the past and present of his own country.

So those who today are trying to find what Christian identity might be in the Europe that is coming to be cannot take from his life or work any idea that somehow the struggles and sufferings of one nation coming to terms with its own cultural and political legacy are less important than some larger and more abstract picture of international harmony. We serve Europe and indeed the whole of humanity not by denying our local setting, with all its complexities and tragedies, but by the service of specific needs in a specific place. To be committed to Europe is to be committed to the healing and transformation in Christ of this particular country and people, wherever and whichever it might be.

But Bonhoeffer consistently sought to remind other European countries and their churches of their mutual responsibility. Germany, in his eyes, could not be left to solve its problems alone. And Germany's problems were never, in any case, Germany's problems only. This was not always a welcome message in the Europe of the thirties; non-intervention was the preferred option of both states and churches in the face of the Third Reich. Bonhoeffer reminded his European friends and neighbours that Germany's crisis was Europe's crisis; and that no claim to be part of the Body of Christ could be sustained in any church that did not take sides in the conflict between church and anti-church in Germany.

In other words, Bonhoeffer's legacy to the European ideal is not some theory of supranational administration and cultural homogeneity. It is rather the application to national and international affairs of the Christian principle of mutual accountability. A healthy international network is one in which we take responsibility for each other, and recognise the crisis, the suffering or the collapse of one national or local community as an issue for all. Within Europe at present, this is not likely to be a matter of collapsing or criminal states, thanks to a half-century of stabilisation. But as the European Union looks to expand its frontiers to Turkey and the Balkans, it certainly involves the willingness to put the resources of more prosperous nations at the service of those that are finding their way towards fuller democracy and recognition of minority rights. And the application of this principle of accountability and shared political vision within Europe ought in due course to point towards a European future in which Europe more fully realises and acts upon its responsibility for unstable and vulnerable nations elsewhere - not through intervention and manipulation, but - as Bonhoeffer himself would have wanted - through the identifying and strengthening of internal elements making for justice and development.

In the 30's, Germany's problems were not Germany's alone, and those who behaved as if they were paid a heavy price and carry a heavy load of responsibility. Today, we can say that the problems of any nation struggling with a democratic deficit or with poverty or social collapse or pandemic disease are not that nation's alone. Bonhoeffer was convinced that he had to 'share the troubles of this time with his people', as he put it. He calls us, within and beyond Europe, to just such a sharing of trouble so that we may together share what God purposes to give us.

(c) Rowan Williams 2006

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=562 &pos=#562

(561) 02-February-2006 - Archbishop's Public Affairs Secretary - Lambeth

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has announced the appointment of Tim Livesey as his Secretary for Public Affairs, in succession to Jeremy Harris. Mr Livesey is currently Assistant Director, Strategy and Information at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London.

Mr Livesey, who is 46, has worked in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office since 1987; his responsibilities have included postings in Morocco, Nigeria and Paris as well as secondments to Nato's Media Operations Centre in Brussels and to 10 Downing Street, where he served as Assistant Press Secretary to the Prime Minister from 2000 - 2002. In 2002 he was seconded to the Office of the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor as Principal Advisor for Public Affairs.

The Public Affairs Secretary is the principal senior advisor to the Archbishop of Canterbury on policy matters relating to his office and work. As the key co-ordinator and interpreter of advice to the Archbishop, this involves working with the other senior Offices of State, politics, business, education, the media and voluntary organisations within and outside the church.

Dr Williams said 'I am delighted to welcome Tim to the Lambeth staff. He brings a wide experience and profound Christian commitment to a crucial and challenging post and we are fortunate to have his services.'

Mr Livesey is a practising Roman Catholic; he is married with five children and lives in Berkshire. He said 'I am delighted to be given the opportunity to work in support of the Archbishop of Canterbury in his role as pastor, teacher and leader at a time of great challenge for the Church in England and worldwide.'

Mr Livesey is expected to take up his appointment in May of this year.

Press Office Lambeth Palace London SE1 7JU www.archbishopofcanterbury.org

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=561 &pos=#561

(560) 01-February-2006 - Celebrating Dietrich Bonhoeffer - USA

Documentary airs February 6, 10 p.m. ET on Public Broadcast Services (PBS - USA only)

Martin Doblmeier, director of the critically acclaimed documentary Bonhoeffer, says the German theologian's struggle against Nazism leading up to and during World War II speaks to every Christian today who struggles with how to respond to evil and to understand at a deep level the cost of following God.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, one of the first clear voices to be raised against Adolf Hitler and the rise of Nazism, eventually was arrested for his participation in the resistance and a plot to kill Hitler, imprisoned and at the age of 39 executed, just weeks before the war's end.

'In the world of religion and spirituality, Bonhoeffer is clearly one of the most inspiring writers of the 20th century,' said Doblmeier. 'And his life and work continue to have universal appeal.

'Conservative Christians are attracted because Bonhoeffer was so Christ-centered and Bible-based. The progressive wing of the church is attracted to his commitment to social justice. In our language of today, he was a man who not only 'talked the talk,' but walked the walk.' Nazis used religious imagery

Doblmeier's film, which first appeared in theaters across the country in 2004, explores several themes, including how the German church fell in line behind Hitler, hoping to regain stature in the new German order. Another shows how the Nazis used religious language, symbols and imagery in their rise to power.

One dramatic scene shows Hitler in public prayer, imploring God to bless the cause of the German people. Doblmeier said archival footage with images of swastika flags flying in churches and pastors giving the Nazis salute were unforgettable images for him.

The film mixes archival footage with interviews with his family, friends, former students and theologians. Bonhoeffer's words are read by actor Klaus Maria Brandauer (Out of Africa).

Archbishop Desmond Tutu recognized Bonhoeffer as a role model for the church of South Africa in its struggle against apartheid. 'It's so easy to be sucked in by the structures,' said the Nobel Laureate. 'To be sucked in, too, by a false kind of loyalty and ending up with a false church.'

Doblmeier sees the film as a story of faith, he said. 'The heart of the story is this young, brilliant theologian trying to understand what is the will of God in the midst of a world torn apart by anger and hate. Through his own writings and in books and letters (Cost of Discipleship and Letters and Papers from Prison), and through the eye-witness accounts of his family and closest friends, you can feel Bonhoeffer's struggle to understand what God is calling him to do.

'He seems to be always questioning himself and his constant prayer is that he will have the inner strength to what do is asked of him.'

For more on Bonhoeffer and for parish and school resources, visit: http://www.pbs.org/bonhoeffer.html

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=560 &pos=#560

(559) 01-February-2006 - Greetings from the CSI Synod Secretariat - South India

Dear Friends,

It is with great joy and abject gratitude to God Almighty that I communicate this information that the 30th Session of the Synod of the Church of South India took place from the 14th to the 17th of January 2006 at Mysore. The powerful and the mighty hand of our Lord Almighty was present during the entire Session and held us and led us that His name may be glorified. I wish to inform you that during the Synod Session, the Most Rev.Dr.B.P.Sugandhar, Bishop in Medak was re-elected as the Moderator, the Rt.Rev.S.Vasanthkumar, Bishop in Karnataka Central Diocese was re-elected as the Deputy Moderator, Dr.Mrs.Pauline Sathiamurthy and Mr.V.Kasthuri were re-elected unopposed as the General Secretary and Hony.Treasurer respectively for the biennium 2006-2008. This is for your kind information and I request that all communications may be made to the above Officers of the CSI Synod.

I look forward to the biennium of wonderful co-operation and Joint Missionary venture with our Partners and Fraternal Churches.

With all good wishes and kind regards,

Yours in the Lord's Service, (Dr. Mrs. Pauline Sathiamurthy) General Secretary, CSI

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=559 &pos=#559

(558) 01-February-2006 - New Dean for St Johns College has a passion for mission and evangelism - New Zealand

The new man chosen to lead the task of equipping the next generation of priests for the Pakeha wing of the Anglican Church in New Zealand is passionate about mission and evangelism occupying a central place in training for ministry.

He is The Rev David Jeans, who has accepted the post of Dean of the College of the Southern Cross, within St John's College in Meadowbank, Auckland.

David Jeans, who holds a Master's degree from Oxford University, and a M.Phil in Theology and Religious Studies from Manchester University has, for the past nine years, led the Wilson Carlile College of Evangelism in Sheffield, in the United Kingdom.

This is the national training college for the Church Army - which is a society of evangelists linked to the Anglican Church, but working outside church buildings 'to enable people to come to a living faith in Jesus Christ.'

David says he comes from the evangelical wing of the Church of England, but is committed to working with those of other traditions to advance the mission of God through the church.

According to its website, The Wilson Carlile College of Evangelism is regarded in the UK 'as a national centre of excellence in the training of evangelists.'

'The college delivers mission-shaped training with an emphasis on the vocational and practical. It works with men and women from all church traditions to help equip them to think about the message and context of evangelism for a contemporary world.'

There are around 350 full-time ministers in the UK Church Army and The Wilson Carlile College trains them all, regardless of their church tradition. The Church Army draws from the theological breadth of the Anglican Communion with the British Isles.

As well as providing formation training, The Wilson Carlile College also provides in-service for these workers, as well as lay training. David, who is also a member of the Church Army's national Senior Management Team, leads a team of 14 staff at the college.

Mr Bruce Davidson, Chair of the St John's College Board of Oversight, says he is pleased to announce Rev Jeans appointment, and he looks forward to his contribution to the future life and direction of the College of the Southern Cross.

'David's particular interests' he says 'are in training to reflect the mission and ministry aspirations of the wider church, the centrality of mission in theological and ministerial education - and the development of reflective practitioners able to think theologically about their mission and ministry contexts.'

David Jeans is married to Vivien, who is a speech and language therapist. They have two adult children. One aspect of his Sheffield ministry which David will be sorry to shed is his chaplaincy to Sheffield Wednesday Football Club which, he says, has been his own personal arena of mission for the past 16 seasons.

Rev Jeans is presently tackling immigration formalities. It's planned that he will take up the Southern Cross post in late April, or early May.

He succeeds Dr John Wright, who retired late last year as Dean of the College.

Ends

Editors, please note: The Anglican Church of Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia has three Tikanga, or cultural streams -Tikanga Maori, Tikanga Pakeha and Tikanga Polynesia (The Diocese of Polynesia includes Anglicans in Fiji, Samoa and Tonga, and Polynesian Anglicans in New Zealand).

Each Tikanga has considerable autonomy, and each has its own theological training institution with the campus of St John's College, Meadowbank. The College of the Southern Cross is the Tikanga Pakeha college.

Lloyd Ashton Media Officer to the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia Email: mediaofficer@ang.org.nz

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=558 &pos=#558

(557) 01-February-2006 - The Patriarchs and Heads of the Churches of Jerusalem - Middle East

The Palestinian Election

We congratulate the Palestinian people for their democratic performance in the recent parliamentary elections. We express our respect and our support to the will of the people expressed in these elections. We congratulate all those who were elected.

Our message as Christian leaders in this new phase of our history is the message of our faith and our concern for all. Some may be afraid or troubled because of this new phase. We respond, first, with the words of Jesus Christ: 'Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. Peace I bequeath to you; my own peace 1 give you, a peace which the world cannot give' (Jn 14:27). Second, 'Be strong and stand firm' (Jos 1:9). We call upon the Palestinian people to continue their contribution to the making of their history whatever may be the difficulties or obstacles, internal or external.

We pray for all those who will govern in this difficult period, and we extend our cooperation to them for the public good and the national Palestinian aspirations together with the cause of justice and peace in a non violent way, whether in regard to foreign relations, the rule of law together with full religious freedom, especially in the social and educational fields.

Our message to the Government of Hamas, members and leadership, is the message of Our Lord Jesus Christ in his Sermon on the Mountain: 'Blessed are the poor in spirit: the kingdom of heaven is theirs. Blessed are the gentle: they shall have the earth as their inheritance. Blessed are those who mourn: they shall be comforted. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for uprightness: they shall have their fill. Blessed are the merciful: they shall have mercy shown them. Blessed are the pure in heart: they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: they shall be recognized as children of God' (Mt 5:3-10).

We ask God to guide us towards what is good for all and for this Holy Land with all its inhabitants, Palestinians and Israelis, be they Moslems, Christians or Jews.

Patriarch Theophilos III: Greek Orthodox Patriarchate Patriarch Michel Sabbah: Latin Patriarchate. Patriarch Torkom II: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Patriarchate. Father Pierbattista Pizzaballa, ofm, Gustos of the Holy Land Anha Abraham: Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate. Swerios Malki Mourad: Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate. Abune Grima: Ethiopian Orthodox Patriarchate Paul Nabil Sayyah: Maronite Patriarchal Exarchate. Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal: Episcopal Church of Jerusalem & the Middle East.Bishop Mounib Younan: Lutheran Evangelical Church. Pierre Melki, Exarch for the Syrian Catholics-Jerusalem Andre Dikran Bedoghlyan: Armenian Catholic Patriarchal Exarchate. Archimandrite Mtanious Haddad: Greek Catholic Patriarchal Exarchate.

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=557 &pos=#557

(556) 01-February-2006 - Trinity Institute Conference to be Telecast live online - USA

Conference on Reconciliation

Trinity Institute's 36th national theological conference, 'The Anatomy of Reconciliation: From Violence to Healing,' will be a live online telecast featuring speakers James Alison, Miroslav Wolf, Sister Helen Prejean, CSJ, Gwendolyn Zoharah Simmons and Bishop Michael B. Curry. They will impart diverse faith perspectives on reconciliation and forgiveness. Monday, January 30 through Wednesday, February 1. Check schedule and watch it live or on-demand at www.TrinityWallStreet.org.

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=556 &pos=#556

___________________________________________________________________ ACNSlist, published by Anglican Communion News Service, London, is distributed to more than 8,000 journalists and other readers around the world.

For subscription INFORMATION please go to: