From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Lutheran bishop in Holy Land urges Christians,

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:16:40 -0600

Note #9117 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

06074 Feb. 10, 2006

Lutheran bishop of Holy Land urges Christians, Muslims to be sensitive

Proposes Jerusalem summit to draw up inter-religious code of ethics

by Michele Green Ecumenical News International

JERUSALEM - The Lutheran bishop of the Holy Land, Munib Younan, has urged Christians and Muslims there and all over the world to be more sensitive to each other's religion and culture.

Younan made his remarks in the wake of a worldwide wave of violence that erupted over the publication of cartoons depicting the prophet Muhammad.

"If we fail to learn to understand one another, we may fulfill the forecasts of those calling this a 'clash of civilizations,'" he warned. "We stand at a crucial juncture in the Middle East, Europe and the West; and these times call for thoughtful prayer and action."

In a pastoral letter dated Feb. 9, the Palestine native condemned "the defamation of all religious symbols, prophets and holy writings, because it only provokes offence and builds walls of hatred between East and West."

However, he was equally critical of violent protests in Europe and across the Middle East of the satirical caricatures of the Muslim prophet published in a Danish newspaper and later by several other European newspapers.

"We also condemn all violent acts that threaten others - including flag burning - as intolerable and unacceptable," Younan said.

The caricatures sparked outrage in the Muslim world, where religious tradition forbids pictures of the prophet Muhammad. In Europe, violent protests against the cartoons, including attacks on European embassies and offices in the Middle East, prompted concern for freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

Bishop Younan suggested that religious leaders of all faiths meet in Jerusalem to draw up a code of ethics to govern inter-religious relations.

"From Jerusalem, we pledge to take on this urgent task of making religion a driving force for reconciliation and justice - part of a solution to our world's problems, rather than a source of conflict," he wrote.

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To unsubscribe, send a blank message to