From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] PC(USA) officials urge Palestinians to work for peace in

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:35:59 -0600

Note #9136 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

06088 Feb. 14, 2006

PC(USA) officials urge Palestinians to work for peace in the Middle East

Letters challenge Hamas, others to end

'the current stalemate of hatred and violence'

by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE - Facing the prospect of a Hamas-led Palestinian government, the top two officials of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) wrote letters last week to Palestinian leaders, urging them to work together to find non-violent ways to end the political stalemate in the region.

The letters, signed by the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated clerk of the General Assembly, and Elder Rick Ufford-Chase, moderator of the 216th General Assembly, were dated Feb. 9. One was addressed to Hamas leaders Ismail Haniyeh, Khaled Mashaal and Mahmoud Zahra, the other to Palestinian President H.E. Mahmoud Abbas.

Both affirmed the elections last month that brought Hamas to the helm of the government.

To the leaders of Hamas, the PC(USA) officials said: "The way toward a future that is peaceful and not marred by the bloodshed of the past must involve your cooperation with President Abbas and his followers, with other Palestinian groups seeking peace, and, of course, with the Israelis, without whom no peace will ever be possible.

"Further, given our longstanding partnerships with our Christian sisters and brothers in Palestine, we are gravely concerned that Hamas make a clear commitment to the protection of their rights as full members of the Palestinian society. We urge you to find a way forward that will change the current stalemate of hatred and violence, so that all who live in this land holy to our three faiths may dwell with their children in peace, security and prosperity. We pledge ourselves to continue to support such efforts as fully as we are able."

The church's leaders appealed to Abbas to "make every effort" to integrate various Palestinian parties into a "strong force for peace, clearly committed to non-violence."

"We call upon you to capitalize on a growing critical mass of those among the Palestinian and Israeli populations who are weary of the vicious cycles of violence and terror, and committed to non-violent resistance to the occupation and non-violent paths to peace," Kirkpatrick and Ufford-Chase wrote. "We pray that you yourself will call for, and personally champion, a national Palestinian movement of non-violence.

"Such boldness for the cause of peace would surprise the world, and we are confident that the majority of Palestinians and Israelis, as well as God's people around the globe, would rally to your support."

The letters described the PC(USA) as having been on the record for more than 50 years as consistent advocates of the right of Palestinians to self-determination and a viable independent state - and the right of the state of Israel to exist within secure and legitimate borders.

While affirming the "heavy burden of responsibility" now borne by Hamas for "shaping the future of the Palestinian people and their neighbors," the letter to Hamas said Presbyterians have long supported a two-state solution and consider calls by Hamas for Israel's destruction as "clearly a barrier to finding peaceful solutions."

It said that the church has consistently condemned the illegal occupation of Palestinian territories by Israel, the expropriation of its land and natural resources and the destruction of its homes, farms and olive groves. "We have condemned the daily humiliation of the checkpoints, the closures, and the isolation and division of Palestinian communities by the separation barrier," it pointed out.

The officials also told Hamas that the church has condemned "all forms of terror and violence that have led to unspeakable human tragedy in the region," citing that perpetrated against Israelis in rocket attacks, suicide bombings and assassinations, as well as Israel's shooting of children and youth during protests.

"All forms of violence, whatever their purported justification, have only hardened the resolve of the victims on every side and rendered lasting solutions ever more remote," the letter said.

In concluding remarks to Abbas, they said: "The Israeli occupation of Palestine has not only devastated your community; it has also fed the growth of radical militancy in many parts of the world, and has undermined the security and well-being of Israel. However, we know that meeting violence with violence can never resolve this deeply embedded conflict. It is our prayer that you will lead your people in a courageous commitment to non-violent resistance in the creation of a just and lasting peace.

"The Palestinian people, under your leadership and the good counsel of the new Legislative Council, have an historic opportunity to play a proactive role for peace in this critical moment in history. We entreat you not to miss that opportunity. Please seize the moment!"

Ufford-Chase is just back from meetings with both Israeli and Christian leaders in Jerusalem and in Jordan.

In the elections, Hamas won 44 percent of the popular vote but 56 percent of the seats in parliament, while Fatah, the party of Abbas and longtime leader Yassar Arafat, won 42 percent of the vote and 34 percent of seats.

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To unsubscribe, send a blank message to