From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Spanish-language Web site is up and running

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:06:21 -0600

Note #9142 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

06099 Feb. 16, 2006

Spanish-language Web site up and running

Presbyterian resources en Español are now just a mouse-click away

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE - The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has launched an all-Spanish Web site, putting a compendium of Spanish resources just a few clicks away.

The new site, www.pcusa.org/espanol, is presented entirely in Spanish, even down to the PC(USA) seal and navigation buttons. An English version is available at www.pcusa.org/spanish.

The new resource allows church leaders and members to find and access nearly 200 items in Spanish available through The Presbyterian Marketplace and elsewhere on the PC(USA)'s Web site: www.pcusa.org.

"What we're trying to do is reach the Hispanic constituency of the church and give them information about what the church is doing, specifically in Spanish-language resources and possibilities," said the Rev. Marissa Galvan-Valle, the denomination's associate for resources and relationships with Hispanic/Latino constituencies. She helped identify and edit many of the resources featured on the site.

The Spanish-language resources include worship materials and hymnals, curriculum, Bible study materials and videos. Links to other related sites also are included.

Materials are organized by "work areas" - such as justice and immigration and worship and spirituality - created as part of a church-wide strategy for ministry with Hispanic and Latino constituencies that was approved by the PC(USA)'s 215th General Assembly (2003).

The Web site went online on Jan. 31.

"Before the Web site, we had different pieces of information ?that were in Spanish, but there was not a central place where somebody who speaks Spanish as a first language could go and get that information," Galvan-Valle said.

The site is sponsored by Galvan-Valle's office, which works with Congregational Ministries Publishing in the production of Spanish-language materials.

The office also works with the PC(USA)'s National Ministries Division, through the Office for Hispanic Congregational Enhancement.

Internet Services staff in the PC(USA) Office of Communication designed the site in cooperation with Galvan-Valle's office.

"The most interesting aspect of working on the site was the fact that I was literally working in a foreign language," said Dana McMahan, Web content developer for Internet Services. "It was a unique challenge to ensure everything was presented correctly in the Spanish version, and Marissa was invaluable in this respect. The fun thing was, I felt like I learned a little Spanish during the process."

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To unsubscribe, send a blank message to