From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Nobel Peace Prize winners lead peace march in Porto Alegre

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:06:11 -0600

Note #9162 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

06124 Feb. 22, 2006

Nobel Peace Prize winners lead peace march in Porto Alegre

by Jerry L. Van Marter Ecumenical News International

PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil - Nobel Peace Prize winners Desmond Tutu of South Africa and Adolfo Esquivel of Argentina led several thousand peace activists - most of them participants in the ninth Assembly of the World Council of Churches - on a festive march through the streets of Porto Alegre Thursday evening (Feb. 21).

"You know, they marched in Berlin, and the Berlin Wall fell," Tutu told a roaring crowd. "They marched in South Africa, and apartheid fell. Now we march in Porto Alegre, and violence will end!"

The 90-minute march began at City Hall and wound through downtown streets to a plaza outside the Hall of Justice. There, Tutu said: "We have an extraordinary God, but this mighty God needs you. God wants peace in the world."

With the crowd shouting "No!" to war, degradation of the environment and violence against women and children, Tutu added: "Jesus has no arms but yours. Let us end war for Jesus Christ's sake. Let us work for justice for Jesus Christ's sake. We won against Communism. We won against apartheid. Now will we win against war and violence?"

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To unsubscribe, send a blank message to