From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS Digest Stories

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:53:30 -0800

The following is a roundup of the recent ACNS Digest stories, with reports from WCC, Sudan, Uganda, England and the USA. The ACNS Digest can be found here:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm

(574) 23-February-2006 - Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams addresses WCC General Assembly - WCC

Porto Alegre, Brazil - 19 February, 2006

(ACNS) Challenging the gathered churches with a new vision for Christian identity in the light of religious plurality, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Revd Rowan Williams, visited the World Council of Churches 9th General Assembly in Porto Alegre, Brazil on 17 February and was the keynote speaker at the day's plenary session.

Archbishop Williams began the day with an open discussion for Anglicans attending the Assembly, where he talked about the life of the Anglican Communion generally, and laid out his vision for the way that we can move forward together as a world-wide group of Christians. He described how, in his view, neither of the two polarised positions taken by some in the Communion represent a good way forward, and described this by saying: 'I would be very sad to see Anglicanism becoming either the Church of a western liberal elite or the Church of anti-intellectual post-missionary society. I am putting it very bluntly here, and I think the dangers that we face in the Communion very serious.'

He concluded by saying: 'who knows what God has in store for the Anglican Communion? When I try to look into the future of the Anglican Communion eighteen months forward, I have no idea what might happen. But if God has a purpose for us in the Communion, then we can relax. I do not mean to say we can stop, and do nothing. I mean we can stop at least being so desperately and bitterly anxious. So often our Anglican world gives off in the media a sense of bitterness and anxiety. Well that is the last thing we want to share with the world. We need to be honest. We need to work. We need to recognise there are no short answers. We need to do all that because we believe God has something to say to us, and with us, in the context of the World Church, which is why we are here in this Assembly. That is, because we believe God is faithful to his calling and his promise.'

The Archbishop then attended a session of the Assembly where the gathered delegates and observers were addressed by the President of Brazil, Luiz Incio Lula da Silva. He then took part in a discussion about economic justice with Peggy Mekel, a young economics professor from Indonesia. Archbishop Williams stressed the role that the churches much play in persuading industry and national governments to move towards a worldwide economic system that allows all to have an equal footing, and added that 'we are challenging the idea that the only value in an advanced society is acquisition.' A question was raised about the participation of young people in the church, and the archbishop admitted that the church misses opportunities to engage with those who are very interested in issues such as economic justice and reminded the audience that 'young people who get involved in the church do so because Jesus Christ tells us that change is possible, both in individual lives and in the world at large.'

In the afternoon, Archbishop Williams addressed the delegates in the main plenary session of the day, speaking on the topic 'Christian Identity and Religious Plurality.' In his address, he first reminded the delegates that, as Christians, we identify ourselves by belonging 'in a place that Jesus defines for us' and that this place defined by Jesus shows us that 'the claim of Christian belief is not first and foremost that it offers the only accurate system of thought, as against all other competitors; it is that, by standing in the place of Christ, it is possible to live in such intimacy with God that no fear or failure can ever break God's commitment to us, and to live in such a degree of mutual gift and understanding that no human conflict or division need bring us to uncontrollable violence and mutual damage. From here, you can see what you need to see to be at peace with God and with God's creation; and also what you need to be at peace with yourself, acknowledging your need of mercy and re-creation.' He also spoke about the role of Christ as the anointed king who gives us the power to accomplish what he asks of us and tied this to his point about our identity in Christ by adding: 'It can be put most forcefully, even shockingly, if we say that Christians identify themselves not only as servants of the anointed king but as Christ. Their place in the world is his place. By allowing themselves to be caught up into his witness and doing what his authority makes possible for them, in work and worship, they stand where he stands. The Christian Scriptures say that believers bear the name of Christ, that this name is written on their foreheads, that their life together is a material 'body' for the anointed king on earth.'

The Archbishop then went on to explore what it means to be a Christian in a pluralistic society on the ground in the real world, especially in places around the world where Christian minorities are persecuted daily and concluded that 'the question of Christian identity in a world of plural perspectives and convictions cannot be answered in cliches about the tolerant co-existence of different opinions. It is rather that the nature of our conviction as Christians puts us irrevocably in a certain place, which is both promising and deeply risky, the place where we are called to show utter commitment to the God who is revealed in Jesus and to all those to whom his invitation is addressed. Our very identity obliges us to active faithfulness of this double kind. We are not called to win competitions or arguments in favour of our 'product' in some religious marketplace. If we are, in the words of Olivier Clement, to take our dialogue beyond the encounter of ideologies, we have to be ready to witness, in life and word, to what is made possible by being in the place of Jesus the anointed - 'our reasons for living, for loving less badly and dying less badly.'

The presence of Archbishop Williams was greatly appreciated by many. The Very Reverend Cynthia Black, Dean of the Cathedral of Christ the King in Kalamazoo, MI, USA, said 'what an honour it was to have an archbishop of such wisdom among us and leading us.'

Christina Takatsu-Winnischofer, General Secretary of the Anglican Church of Brazil, said 'I was very glad to have Dr. Williams visit us here in Brazil and I hope that he has another opportunity to come and spend some more time in our province.'

For others, having the archbishop attending the Assembly was important for personal reasons. Vicki Terrell, a participant through the Ecumenical Disability Advocates Network and an Anglican from the province of New Zealand, said that Archbishop William's visit 'was a great experience to have as I begin my training for ordination.'

In the evening, Archbishop Williams officiated at traditional Anglican Evening Prayer. The service included voices from around the Anglican Communion, and the languages included were French, Spanish, Oshingonga (a dialect of the Oshiwambo language in Namibia), Portuguese, English, Japanese, and even Welsh responses sung by the Archbishop himself.

The Archbishop had the opportunity to meet privately with representatives of all Anglican dialogue partners, including both Dr. Samel Kobia, Secretary General of the WCC and with His Holiness Aram I, Moderator of the WCC. Canon Gregory Cameron, Deputy Secretary General of the Anglican Communion said, 'The feedback received from the Archbishop of Canterbury's address indicates that many different denominations drew inspiration from what he had to say.' One person spoke of how 'proud' she was to be an Anglican following the Archbishop's visit.

Ends

By Jamie McMahon, ACNS Special Report

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=574 &pos=#574

(573) 23-February-2006 - World Council of Churches - News Release - WCC

Assembly Elects New Presidents, Central Committee

A new body to lead the World Council of Churches (WCC) into the next decade was elected in Porto Alegre on Wednesday. Delegates at the WCC's 9th Assembly also endorsed measures designed to strengthen youth participation in the organization's decision-making.

The Assembly elected a 150-member central committee, which serves as the main decision-making body of the Council between assemblies. The Assembly also appointed presidents for each of the world regions and for the Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox churches. During the Assembly, the WCC leadership and many delegates urged the Council to find ways of strengthening youth participation and of involving young adults in the leadership and decision-making of the church fellowship. Proposals for a new representative body for youth will be discussed on the last day of the Assembly.

The new 150-person central committee counts 63 women (42%), 22 youth (15%), and six indigenous persons (4%). 97 members of the committee are ordained (65%). The nominations committee worked with a pool of names put forward by the WCC's 348 member churches. A 25-person executive committee, a moderator and two vice-moderators will be elected by the central committee later this week.

The role of the WCC presidents is to promote ecumenism and to interpret the work of the WCC, especially in their respective regions. The presidents are ex-officio members of central committee.

The eight WCC presidents are Rev. Prof. Dr Simon Dossou, Methodist Church in Benin; Rev. Dr Soritua Nababan, Protestant Christian Batak Church (Indonesia); Rev. Dr Ofelia Ortega, Presbyterian-Reformed Church in Cuba; Dr Mary Tanner, Church of England; Rev. Dr Bernice Powell Jackson, United Church of Christ (USA); Mr John Taroanui Doom, Ma?hi Protestant Church (French Polynesia); Archbishop Dr Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania, Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania; His Holiness Abune Paulos, Ethiopian Orthodox Church.

Additional biographical information about the new WCC presidents follows:

Africa

Rev. Prof. Dr Simon Dossou, Methodist Church in Benin Dr Dossou is an Old Testament scholar who did his theological studies in Porto Novo (Benin), Yaound? (Cameroon) and Lausanne (Switzerland). He has been theological professor in the Yaound? Faculty of Theology and in the Theological Institute of Porto Novo. Dr Dossou is currently President of the Methodist Church in Benin and Chairperson of the Fellowship of Christian Councils and Churches in West Africa (FECCIWA). He is the author of many books and theological articles.

Asia

Rev. Dr Soritua Nababan, Protestant Christian Batak Church (HKBP) Dr Nababan's international ecumenical involvement began with membership in the WCC's Youth Committee in 1961, followed by service as Youth Secretary for the Christian Conference of Asia 1963-1967 and as President 1990-1995. He has been involved at various levels of ecumenical work through the Communion of Churches in Indonesia (General Secretary, 1967-1984; General Chairman, 1984-1987); the World Council of Churches (Vice-Chairman and then Moderator of the Commission on World Mission and Evangelism, 1968-1985; member and then Vice-Moderator of Central Committee, 1983-1998); and the Lutheran World Federation (Vice-President, 1970-1977 and 1984-1991). He has provided leadership to his own church, the largest Protestant church in Indonesia, serving as Ephorus (bishop) from 1987 to 1998.

Caribbean/Latin America

Rev. Dr Ofelia Ortega, Presbyterian-Reformed Church in Cuba Dr Ortega was the first Presbyterian woman to be ordained in Cuba. She worked at the WCC from 1985 to 1996, first as professor at the Ecumenical Institute, Bossey, and from 1988 as executive secretary for Latin America and the Caribbean in the Programme on Theological Education. She then returned to Cuba to serve as the rector of the Evangelical Theological Seminary (SET) in Matanzas for eight years, leading it to a multi-faceted ministry of social service and community involvement. Beyond her responsibilities with the seminary, she served as volunteer in the rural areas of Cuba during the national literacy campaign, as well as offering her gifts to the Ministry of Public Health.

Europe

Dr Mary Tanner, Church of England

Dr Tanner has contributed to the ecumenical movement in a variety of ways throughout the years. She has been a member of the WCC Faith and Order Commission since 1974, serving as moderator from 1991 to 1998. She has also been a member of the Special Commission on Orthodox Participation in the WCC since its inception in 1991. Dr Tanner has been involved in various ecumenical conversations on behalf of her church, including the Anglican-Roman conversation. From 1982 to 1998 she was active within the Church of England body which ultimately became the Council for Christian Unity, serving as its General Secretary from 1991 to 1998.

North America

Rev. Dr Bernice Powell Jackson, United Church of Christ Dr Powell Jackson has served for the past 18 months as President of the WCC for North America, completing an un-expired term. She served on the national staff of the UCC for nearly twenty years, most recently as one of the five officers of the church and as head of Justice and Witness Ministries. During the 1980s, she was director of the Bishop Tutu Scholarship Fund in the US, where she worked closely with the Archbishop. She has worked for more than three decades on civil rights, human rights and justice issues, and is a much-sought-after preacher. She is currently working on a book on God, religion and politics.

Pacific

Mr John Taroanui Doom, Ma?hi Protestant Church Mr Doom became a deacon of his church in 1962, and served as its General Secretary 1971-1988. He was a member of the Executive Committee of the Pacific Conference of Churches 1966-1989, and Principal of the Hermon Theological School, Tahiti, 1972-1977. He was a member of central committee 1976-1983 and of the Churches' Commission on International Affairs 1983-1989. In 1989 he became the WCC's Executive Secretary for the Pacific, a post which he held until 2000. He is currently national co-ordinator of the Association of the Former Nuclear Site Workers of Moruroa (Moruroa e Tatou).

Eastern Orthodox

Archbishop Dr Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania, Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania His Beatitude Archbishop Anastatios is professor emeritus of the National University of Athens and honorary member of the Academy of Athens. He was Dean of the Theological School at the University of Athens 1983-1986. From 1981 to 1990 he was the Acting Archbishop of East Africa, where he organised and developed the Orthodox Mission in East Africa. He was Moderator of the WCC's Commission on World Mission and Evangelism 1984-1991, and is currently one of the vice-presidents of the Conference of European Churches. He has served as Primate of Albania since 1992, reconstructing the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania from ruins and initiating important contributions in healthcare, development work, emergency relief, culture, ecology and peace-making.

Oriental Orthodox

His Holiness Abune Paulos, Ethiopian Orthodox Church His Holiness Abune Paulos is the Patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, which has a membership of 40 million. He has served as a member of central committee and the Faith and Order commission, and attended the Nairobi assembly. He has participated in many international meetings, including the World Economic Forum and the World Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders at the United Nations, and has been instrumental in encouraging interfaith dialogue in Ethiopia. He has shown keen interest in youth, women's issues and HIV/AIDS, acting as patron of the national programme on HIV/AIDS. In recognition of his outstanding contributions to the protection and welfare of refugees, he was awarded the Nansen Medal for Africa by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in 2000.

Source: www.wcc-assembly.info

For further information: media@wcc-coe.org

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 348 Protestant, Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia, from the Methodist Church in Kenya. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=573 &pos=#573

(572) 23-February-2006 - Post-war Sudan, refugees are focus of American Friends' gathering - Sudan

Editor's note: As the Archbishop of Canterbury makes his pastoral visit to the Sudan this coming week, we are grateful to ENS for this timely article. I will be with the Archbishop's party. We trust our colleagues will join us in telling the Sudan Christian story in your various means of communications. Jim Rosenthal, Editior

Article

(ENS, SAN JOSE, California) Amid an atmosphere of celebration and hope, the American Friends of the Episcopal Church in Sudan (AFRECS) gathered for its second annual meeting at Trinity Cathedral in San Jose, California, February 17-19, urging increased participation in the renewal of post-war Sudan and enhanced support for Sudanese ministries and refugees within the United States.

Economic, educational and relationship development are among the priorities, said AFRECS executive director Nancy Frank, who announced a newly-created project registry and cited the organization's website as important links between congregations in the United States and much-needed involvement in Sudan.

'Our future goal is to be the communications mechanism for every organization throughout the United States for the Episcopal Church of Sudan,' Frank said. 'We are hoping to gather information about all areas of the populations working with the Sudan and the marvelous groups helping Sudanese refugees.'

AFRECS describes itself as 'an organization of U.S. churches, non-governmental organizations, and individuals who care deeply about the struggles of the Sudanese people.'

The Rev. Enock Tombe, provincial secretary for the Episcopal Church of Sudan (ECS), described post-war challenges in Sudan to about 150 participants from across the nation.

'The challenges facing the church include a need for self-denial, if we are ready to serve one another in the name of God,' he told the gathering.

Citing a spirit of ecumenism infusing Africa and elsewhere, he said priorities include maintaining a just and lasting peace, deepening the faith and assisting the ECS in becoming self-supporting. Goals include establishment of a peace and justice commission, as well as guidelines for theological education, and general education at some 90 ECS schools and increased engagement of the peace process. But challenges remain, like dealing with HIV/AIDS, poverty, a lack of infrastructure.

'The church is not present on the ground in Sudan,' Tombe said. 'The challenge is how can we make a peace that will last? South Africa took nine years to reveal the abuses through its Truth and Justice Commission. I don't know if it can be applied to Sudan. People who were hurt are very bitter and want revenge. How are we going to deal with them? How are we going to care for refugees?'

Pressing concerns include the country's crushing poverty. 'Our poverty level in the Sudan is the equivalent of one U.S. dollar a day. Many people in Sudan don't have that. And oil is a curse. How do we make sure oil is used for the good of the people?'

Future Economic Development; the 'Curse' of Oil

The Rev. Richard Jones, AFRECS board president and a Virginia Theological Seminary professor, called for a unified approach to rebuilding Sudan. He cited the U.S. post civil war Reconstruction era and the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina which devastated the Gulf Coast to invoke powerful images of, "the task faced by the Episcopal Church of Sudan and the people of Sudan ... no electricity, water not restored, the population scattered.

'AFRECS works so Americans don't forget the unfinished construction of new Sudan,' he told the gathering. 'Separated, we can do very little. But, together with God all things are possible.'

Keynote speaker Dr. Michael Kevane, a Santa Clara University professor of economics who has done extensive research in Khartoum and authored 'Woman and Development in Africa: How Gender Works' (Lynne Rienner, 2004), warned that an unregulated oil economy will displace the poor and ultimately make them poorer.

'When oil is the source of wealth, the people don't get rich,' he said. 'For peasants who traditionally have worked the land, the work will end. Women who produce traditional goods will have difficulty moving to town, taking advantage of increased economic growth there.'

Additionally, an oil economy may lead to corruption, a gun economy and violent oppression.

Citing self-regulation as a necessity, Kevane remained skeptical about the May 2005 Joint Assessment Mission (JAM) budget proposal to spend $8 billion for redevelopment over a period of two-and-a-half years. Noting that JAM focuses heavily on road construction, he added: 'Road projects are what the doctor orders for corrupt economies.'

The proposed amount to be spent on roads is the equivalent of $1000 per family for a family of four. 'If you're a poor person in Southern Sudan, what would you rather have, a road or $1,000?' he said. Of concern, also, is the fact that there is 'very little public discourse about giving to the citizens of Southern Sudan. Giving promotes accountability, and an identity economy where citizens can decide themselves what to invest in.'

Cesar Guvelle, adjunct professor of agricultural economics at Kansas State University and a Sudanese doctoral student, said communities can become personally invested in road construction.

'The way it's been done is sending in the bulldozers and moving people away; then the roads wash out,' he said. 'But it can be done differently ... don't send in a bulldozer and charge $2 billion; involve the community. Let us inspect it, let it become a community work so the $2 billion is continuously being used every day every year. Uganda today has community roads and the community has a contract to maintain the roads.'

Janette O'Neill, Episcopal Relief and Development's program director for Africa, received a round of applause when she announced that restrictions have been lifted and 'finally, the national church is able to send funds to the Episcopal Church of the Sudan and is setting up proposals for next year. Collaboration is the name of the game so it's important that we know what everyone is doing,' she added.

The Rev. Emmanuel Sswerwadda, interim partnership officer for Africa from the Office of Anglican and Global Relations, told the gathering that a way to strengthen relationships and partnerships is by addressing human needs through ECS.

He called for assistance for Sudanese clergy and provincial workers, who are unpaid. 'What can we do? The Episcopal Church gives grant money. We haven't been able to send money because of grant restrictions. There are a lot of needs' including restoring guest housing for visitors and supporters to provincial headquarters in Juba, at a cost of about $7,500 each.

Richard Parkins, director of Episcopal Migration Ministries (EMM) thanked the 'Lost Boys' and Sudanese refugees for 'educating many parishes around the United States to the value of ministry to the uprooted. With 27 offices in 27 dioceses and 38 locations across the country, the church 'stepped forward and we have been transformed' after relocating hundreds of Sudanese.

Noting the depth of their faith, he added: 'The Church of the Sudan has been so instrumental in nurturing them. When they got to this country the first question they asked was, 'where is the church?' I haven't seen this happen with any other refugees, in 27 years of exercising this ministry.'

'Offering Hospitality and Resources'

The Rev. Jerry Drino, Province VIII executive director and priest-in-charge of the Sudanese Ministry at Trinity Cathedral in San Jose, told a workshop that, although the Sudanese are resettled in seven dioceses representing about 80 ministries, they are beginning to drift away from the Episcopal Church in the United States 'because of a failure to receive or incorporate them.'

The Rev. Andrew Akuak, pastor of the Southern Sudanese community at St. Paul's in Alexandria, Virginia, said Sudanese ministries are often hampered by a lack of hospitality, liturgical resources in such living languages as Bari or Dinka, and theological training. Sudanese clergy, while taking courses, often must work more than one job to make ends meet, in addition to pastoring congregations. Another challenge is becoming an integrated community instead of functioning as separate congregations.

'Many Sudanese clergy have two or three jobs and attend school. In addition they have children in school,' Akuak said. 'At the end of the day they're completely exhausted. When they stand in front of their congregations, the leaders in the Sudanese community are completely exhausted.'

The Rev. Michael Kiju-Paul's Sudanese ministry began as house churches and in a few years has blossomed into the 200-member St. Thomas Church in the Diocese of Maryland. He resorted to an interdenominational liturgy using traditional music to appeal to Sudanese who were Episcopalians. But, he added, 'I also had to realize that the Sudanese who come aren't all Episcopalians, and to consider what to do with those who aren't.'

More shocking was the lack of hospitality. 'Three churches turned down our request for space,' he recalled. 'They said, 'those people are refugees, they don't have any money.'

'I want to reach the Episcopal Church to say if a Sudanese congregation approaches you, don't talk about money first. These people are refugees, they have no money.'

For more information, visit the AFRECS website at: www.afrecs.org

Article from: ENS (Episcopal News Service) - by Pat McCaughan.

The Rev. Patricia McCaughan is senior correspondent for the Episcopal News Service and associate rector of St. Mary's Church in Laguna Beach, California.

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=572 &pos=#572

(571) 23-February-2006 - Uganda Joint Christian Council - Uganda

A message from Religious Leaders to all Ugandans on the 2006 General Elections

Fellow Ugandans,

We bring you greetings of love from the Uganda Joint Christian Council (UJCC).

We extend to you our best wishes on this occasion as we prepare to go to the polls on 23 February 2006, 28th February 2006, 6th March 2006 and 9th March 2006 to cast our votes for candidates of our choice that are contesting for various elective positions. This is an important civic duty that must be cherished by all Ugandans and all people of goodwill. The Constitution of Uganda 1995 underscores the need for free, regular and fair elections. In our view, an election is free and fair if it is conducted substantially in conformity with the relevant laws and regulations.

This is the first General Election being conducted in Uganda in more than 25 years under a multiparty system. We sincerely congratulate all Ugandans for embracing the spirit of diversity under a multiparty political dispensation. A multiparty system gives everyone the opportunity to participate in developing appropriate policies and programmes for the development of the country. Multipartism on the other hand raises challenges to the various Government Institutions. It is particularly important that all Government institutions are sufficiently oriented to appreciate that their allegiance is to Uganda as a Nation as opposed to individuals or groups of people.

An election offers an opportunity for the Citizens to exercise their right to elect Leaders of their choice. For this to happen, there must be a conducive environment for citizens to make choices without fear and undue influence. Consequently, it is important for the state in the interest of free and fair elections to guarantee to every candidate, political party and voter the security they need to exercise their right and responsibility as citizens.

Also key to ensuring free and fair elections is the Electoral Commission and Judiciary. It is particularly important for the Electoral Commission which is legally in charge of the electoral process in the whole country to act fairly, professionally, and independently.

We commend the Electoral Commission for having performed reasonably well in the face of daunting challenges and obviously very difficult circumstances. The Commission has very difficult days ahead and will need stamina, courage and vigilance to fulfil its constitutional role. In this, the Commission deserves the co-operation and support of all Ugandans.

We note with concern that the independence of the Judiciary has been under a severe test. We would like to caution public officers and politicians that any attempt to undermine or compromise the independence of the Judiciary through unfounded accusations, threats, intimidation or other means represent an assault on the concept of separation of powers and by extension peace and stability in Uganda. We strongly commend those members of the Judiciary that have remained faithful to their oath of office and urge them to continue discharging their duties honourably without fear or favour, ill-will or affection.

We commend Ugandans in all parts of the country who have shown great maturity during the course of the campaigns. We note the opportunity that the aspiring candidates have had to interact with the electorate during the campaigns. This is good for democracy.

However, We note with disappointment that cases of intimidation and election violence appear to be on the rise after a fairly good beginning characterised by largely peaceful campaigns. Many serious cases of violence involving gunmen wearing civilian attires have been reported by the media in various parts of the country. Some of these violent incidences have resulted into the deaths of unarmed civilians. We condemn all forms of intimidation and violence directed against Ugandans who are exercising their democratic rights. We urge the youth in particular to abandon the spirit of militancy and reject all forms of manipulation. They need to bear in mind that when the law catches up with them they will be held individually accountable for their violent act or unlawful conduct.

We extend our heartfelt condolences to all victims of violence including those who were killed when an alleged security operative wantonly and indiscriminately shot and killed people at Bulange in Kampala. We call upon the architects of intimidation and violence to abandon their unholy scheme of driving a wedge among Ugandans. We call upon the Police to act decisively to restore the confidence of the population which has been badly damaged by these acts of violence. The state must ensure that the rule of law is vigorously upheld. All perpetrators of threats, intimidation and violence and their sponsors and accomplices must be promptly brought to justice.

We appeal to all voters to seek for wisdom and the gift of discernment as they go to the polling stations on election day to vote for candidates of their choice. We urge all voters to behave in an orderly manner befitting our national motto 'For God and My Country.'

It is important to note that in every election there is bound to be winners and losers. We would therefore like to appeal to every candidate to approach this election with an open mind and a readiness to win or lose. We appeal to those who will win to be magnanimous towards those who will have lost. This is because we need each other for the development of mother Uganda.

We appeal to those who will lose and have legitimate grievances to seek redress through courts of law rather than resorting to disruptive and unlawful means to express their discontent. That is what democracy is all about.

Blessed are the peacemakers (Mat. 5.9).

God bless Uganda!

His Eminence, Metropolitan Jonah Lwanga

Chairperson, UJCC/Archbishop of the Orthodox Church

His Eminence, Emmanuel Cardinal Wamala

Co-Chairperson, UJCC/Archbishop of Kampala Archdiocese

His Grace, the Most Rev. Henry Luke Orombi

Co-Chairperson, UJCC/Archbishop of the Church of Uganda

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=571 &pos=#571

(570) 23-February-2006 - Church of England opens virtual door on its documentary heritage - England

News from the Church of England

Information on the rich documentary heritage of the Church of England is now only a click away with the launch of a dedicated Libraries and Archives section on the Church of England's popular website.

Information about Lambeth Palace Library, the Church of England Record Centre and the Library of the Cathedral and Church Buildings Division, as well as links to the major ecclesiastical libraries and archives throughout England, have been brought together in the new section, creating a single portal to the documentary heritage of the Church of England.

While many of these libraries and archives have run their own websites for some time, only now can users visit a central starting point, appropriately hosted on the Church's main website that currently handles an average of more than 20,000 requests for pages of information each day. Information on how to access a diverse range of material - from medieval texts such as the 12th century Lambeth Bible, through to documents on church architecture, or the history of free education in England - can all be accessed via the new section.

'I hope that these pages will provide a gateway to the many and varied collections in the Church and will improve the awareness and use of these hidden gems,' said Declan Kelly, Director of Libraries, Archives and Information services.

The new section is available at:

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/about/librariesandarchives/

Ends

Further information from:

Church of England Communications Office Church House Great Smith Street London SW1P 3NZ

Direct Dial Telephone: 020 7898 1326

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=570 &pos=#570

(569) 21-February-2006 - Archbishop Tutu preaches peace, reconciliation in volatile Haiti - USA

Port - au - Prince, February 12, 2006. Former South African Anglican Archbishop and Nobel peace laureate Desmond Tutu on Sunday preached his message of reconciliation in volatile Haiti, where voters awaited the outcome of presidential elections.

'The people of Haiti say yes to peace ... no to revenge,' he said in a sermon at the Sainte Trinite Episcopal Cathedral in downtown Port - au - Prince.

'Long live peace,' Archbishop Tutu told the worshippers, who included government officials, foreign diplomats and international electoral observers.

'You have shown the world you are not a violent people,' he said with reference to Tuesday's presidential and legislative voting, which was largely free of electoral or political violence.

The Archbishop's four-day visit coincided with the nervous wait for the outcome of the February 7 presidential election many hope will set Haiti on a democratic track and end the turmoil that has plagued the impoverished Caribbean nation.

With three-fourths of the ballots counted, Rene Preval, 63, a champion of the poor, had a massive lead over his rivals, but was just under one point short of the 50 percent he needs to win outright and avoid a second round.

Officials appealed for calm amid worries that Preval's hardcore supporters in the capital's dirt-poor slum may be incensed if the front runner is not declared triumphant in the first round.

Sunday's ecumenical service marked the inauguration of Haiti's 'National Day of Peace and Tolerance.'

Archbishop Desmond Tutu met interim president Boniface Alexandre Saturday, and was scheduled to hold talks with other Haitian leaders during his visit. He leaves Haiti on Tuesday.

The former Archbishop of Cape Town was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984 for his non-violent struggle against apartheid in his native South Africa.

Artice from: Charlito News, News from Haiti

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=2&article=569 &pos=#569

___________________________________________________________________ ACNSlist, published by Anglican Communion News Service, London, is distributed to more than 8,000 journalists and other readers around the world.

For subscription INFORMATION please go to: