From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 128-It's B.I.G.! Publishing House unveils

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:23:04 -0600

It's B.I.G.! Publishing House unveils Sunday school program

Mar. 3, 2006

NOTE: Photos and video clips are available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Kathy L. Gilbert*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - If you are having problems getting children excited about Sunday school, maybe you should "Live B.I.G."

It wouldn't hurt to sing, shout, laugh, act, dance, create, run, jump, fly and think, speak and relate to a belief in God either.

"Live B.I.G." (Belief in God) is a new Sunday school curriculum being offered by the United Methodist Publishing House for use in churches this September. The interactive program has colorful characters, cool music and travel segments designed to use the three ways children learn - hearing, seeing and then living what they learn.

"We want children to ask to go to Sunday school - to drag their parents out of bed to take them to church," said Marj Pon, director of children's resources.

The average family in the United States watches 8 hours and 11 minutes of television a day, according to a report from Nielsen Media Research. Children are growing up in homes equipped with multiple televisions, computers with Internet, video games, iPods, CD and DVD players - many in their own bedrooms.

In 2004, the Publishing House started looking at those statistics and planning for ways to capture children's attention in a multimedia world, Pon said. Surveys were sent to 1,200 churches, and more than 400 churches were selected as test sites for the curriculum.

College Heights United Methodist Church in Pittsburg, Kan., was one of the churches that tested the prototype.

"The kids can hardly wait" for the new curriculum to come, the Rev. Ken Butts said. "It really piqued their interest."

"We need a way to bring kids into the 21st century and assist teachers," agreed Patricia Prillaman, director of Christian education at Parkview United Methodist Church in Newport News, Va.

"It made all the difference in the world," to the children in her church, she said. "Prior to this curriculum, the children were bored, sitting around a table, doing their Sunday school lesson. With this program, they were jumping, singing and happy."

"Live B.I.G." is an annual resource with 12 DVDs, a teacher's book and student books. It is designed to cover the Bible in two years, Pon said. It will be available for ordering in June, in time for fall classes.

Bongo the Bible bird, Mr. Z and Ms. Lucy help preschool children (grouped in ages 3-4 and 5-6) through age-appropriate activities that include puzzles, crafts and booklets to take home and share with parents.

Elementary-age children (7-8 and 9-10) are led by young teens and Anna in "The Station." "Tweens," ages 11-13, participate in the "Common Ground," a coffeehouse with host Will and four teenagers, T.J., Kate, Julia and Micah. There is also an option for small churches that may only have one Sunday school class for children of different ages. The one-room option uses segments from the elementary age group.

Each month features a "Big Idea." For example, the October theme is "Jesus is the Messiah." Teachers get a DVD for each Sunday in the month, and each lesson includes "The Big Picture," "On the Road" and the "Big Sound."

"The Big Picture" shares pictures of children in different settings living out the week's Bible scripture. "On the Road" is a video segment shot in different locations showing children and churches in mission, and the "Big Sound" is music. Original songs were created for the preschool and elementary age groups, and contemporary Christian songs are used for tweens.

"I really think this is one of the best things to come out of Cokesbury," said Suzann Wade, diaconal minister Chapel Hill United Methodist Church in Oklahoma City. "I think it will help kids understand how the Bible connects with their daily lives."

Prillaman said about 50 children attend Sunday school at Parkview. "I think the program is excellent, especially for small churches." The music helps teachers who may not feel they are able to provide that for their children, she said.

Butts described his church as "middle sized" but with only 32 children in Sunday school. They will be using the one-room class option. Another component of the program is a Web site, www.ilivebig.com, which Butts said interested his children because they have a computer room. The Web site enables children and parents to expand the Sunday school lesson through the week.

"We are planting the seeds; this is a curriculum the kids can grow with," he said. "We are hoping it will stimulate interest and get the kids to tell their parents they want to go to church."

Pon said the curriculum was designed with the awareness that churches have fewer trained Christian educators and fewer adults who have the time to become trained Sunday school teachers.

But she is quick to say it not just about showing videos to children. "The most important thing is a teacher who has a relationship with and a love for children - that is what makes the biggest impact in a child's life."

The DVD kits are $175. Leader's guides are $14, and student books are $4 each for preschool and elementary and $5 for tweens. Introductory video clips and other information are available at www.ilivebig.com.

Wade hopes people will give "Live B.I.G." a chance.

"I think they will be hooked."

*Gilbert is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.

---------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this group, go to UMCom.org, log in to your account, click on the My Resources link and select the Leave option on the list(s) from which you wish to unsubscribe. If you have problems or questions, please write to websupport@umcom.org.