From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

More Than 200 ELCA Members Participate in Ecumenical Advocacy Days

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:52:11 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 15, 2006

More Than 200 ELCA Members Participate in Ecumenical Advocacy Days 06-038-AL*

WASHINGTON, D.C. (ELCA) -- More than 900 U.S. church members, including more than 200 members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), took part in Ecumenical Advocacy Days here March 10-13. Under the theme "Challenging Disparity: The Promise of God - The Power of Solidarity," participants learned about issues important to the religious community and had the opportunity to make their voices heard on Capitol Hill.

Workshop topics included global security, eco-justice, Middle East, Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, jubilee and economic justice, and domestic issues in the United States. The final day of the event was spent on Capitol Hill, where participants met with staff of their congressional representatives.

"We gather here in Washington not just with new strategies and programs, but with a different vision for life in human community," said the Rev. Michael Kinnamon in a sermon at Sunday worship. "In a culture fixated on violence and death, it is time for us to lift up our vision for interdependent life."

Speakers for the event included Kinnamon, the Allen and Dottie Miller Professor of Mission and Peace, Eden Theological Seminary, St. Louis; the Rev. Suzan Johnson Cook, senior pastor, Believers Christian Fellowship, and president of the Hampton (Va.) University Ministries' Conference; and E. J. Dionne, Jr., columnist for the Washington Post.

In his keynote address Sunday evening, Dionne said, "Charity is essential, but it is not enough. How do you reduce the need for charity and help people get self-sufficient? Justice."

David and Pamela Larabee-Zierath, West Liberty, Iowa, members of the Lutheran World Relief (LWR) Speakers Bureau, prepared to visit offices on Capitol Hill. LWR is the overseas relief and development ministry of the ELCA and Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod.

"We're hoping to be able to thank our Congressman (Jim Leach) for the support he's given to our issues," said Pamela Larabee-Zierath. "We look forward to having more information for our work with LWR -- a different take and a bigger picture for our fair-trade talks."

Hundreds of young adults participate

More than 250 people ages 16-30 participated in Ecumenical Advocacy Days, including more than 100 young adults from the ELCA.

Special programs and time for networking were provided for young adults of all denominations.

"I've really enjoyed getting to know other young adults, learning what's happening on their campuses and in their communities," said Kari Lenander, student, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D.

Lenander chose to attend workshops dealing with jubilee and economic justice. "I wanted something that would be global. We do a lot of fair-trade things on our campus, and I've been interested to see other aspects of that," she said.

ELCA hosts several events

Ecumenical Advocacy Days also served as the kickoff to the new ELCA student advocacy teams program. Students from nine of the 36 ELCA colleges and seminaries met March 10 for an orientation session, where they learned principles of advocacy and heard information about the ONE campaign. Much of the orientation was spent in small groups, brainstorming and sharing ideas for doing effective advocacy ministry on campus.

Lutherans attending Ecumenical Advocacy Days had several opportunities for fellowship and networking, including the Lutheran hospitality suite, a denominational lunch and meeting, and a Lutheran dinner.

During the denominational lunch and meeting March 11, Lutherans heard from ELCA churchwide staff representing the ELCA Washington Office, Corporate Social Responsibility, Lutheran Office for World Community, Global Mission, and the World Hunger program, as well as staff from ELCA partner organizations Lutheran World Relief, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, and Lutheran Services in America.

"Hunger and poverty work is part of our DNA," said Nancy Arnison, director, ELCA World Hunger program. "Lutherans have been involved with this work for decades."

Participants were challenged to step up their efforts to help the hungry and the poor by becoming advocates on their behalf. "Call your members of Congress - not just once, but develop a relationship with each of them," said Karen Vagley, director, ELCA Washington Office. "Visit them. Be at their doors. Be at their press conferences. Let them know you care."

The ELCA Washington Office and Global Mission co-sponsored a dinner March 11 for nearly 200 ELCA participants at St. Albans School near the National Cathedral.

History of the event

Ecumenical Advocacy Days for Global Peace with Justice began in 2003 as a gathering of 400 religious advocates concerned about U.S. foreign policy in Africa and the Middle East. In 2004 more than 600 religious activists from 41 states and 15 countries came together to build bridges across issues faced by the poor and disenfranchised in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America. The 2005 Advocacy Days added a fifth region, the United States, and also broadened to cover economic justice, environmental justice and global security issues. More than 850 grassroots advocates, policy experts, politicians, theologians, organizers, and students gathered to shape a new positive, progressive religious vision for U.S. foreign policy.

Event sponsors for 2006 included the ELCA, Episcopal Church USA, Lutheran World Relief, National Council of Churches U.S.A., Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), United Church of Christ, United Methodist Church and dozens of other faith-based organizations. -- -- --

Information about ELCA advocacy efforts is at http://www.ELCA.org/advocacy/ on the Web.

* Annie Lynsen is director for grassroots advocacy and communication, ELCA Washington (D.C.) Office.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog