From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Environmental Conference set in New Orleans in June

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:20:49 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Dan Webster, 212.870.2252

Christian Environmental Conference Set for New Orleans

Washington, March 23, 2006 ? More than 300 Christian leaders from across the nation will convene in flood-ravaged New Orleans June 1-4 for the biannual environmental conference of the Eco-Justice Working Group of the National Council of Churches USA.

The conference, to be held at Loyola University under the theme Eco-Justice for All: God's People, God's Planet, will draw clergy, seminarians, lay leaders, church educators, eco-justice coordinators, denomination staff and young adult Christians concerned about a broad range of environmental issues.

With recent events in the Gulf Coast region Cassandra Carmichael, NCC's director of Eco-Justice Programs, believes it is fitting for the conference to be held in the Crescent City.

"The connection between social, economic and environmental justice issues became abundantly clear during and in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita," said Carmichael, who is also helping to staff the NCC's Special Commission on the Just Rebuilding of the Gulf Coast.

"It is appropriate for us to be in New Orleans now when we will have the opportunity to learn firsthand about the numerous environmental issues that have surfaced from these disasters and find out more about how we can work for justice in the region as efforts to rebuild are underway."

The eco-justice conference will explore questions such as: How do we heal the social fabric torn by environmental racism? How might we respond to the increasing pollution of our air, water, climate, and land? How do we pursue healthy communities and habitats for all people and creatures?

Training tracks, thought-provoking workshops, inspiring plenary sessions, hands-on experience, and worship services will provide pathways for connection, sharing, and equipping of Christians involved in eco-justice ministries.

Registration for the conference is now open. Those interested in registering should go to the NCC Eco-Justice Programs website at www.nccecojustice.org or call 202.544.2350.

The National Council of Churches USA has 35 member denominations in the Protestant, Anglican and Orthodox traditions with more than 100,000 congregations and 45 million church members. The Eco-Justice Working Group has been advocating for better environmental stewardship and eco-justice for more than 20 years. ###

EDITOR?S NOTE: For more information about conference speakers and workshops, contact Cassandra Carmichael at 202.481.6928.