From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] New Web site, E-I-E-I-O

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:43:58 -0600

Note #9216 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

06179 March 24, 2006

New Web site, E-I-E-I-O

Rural ministries offers online resources, stories and information

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE - The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has launched a new Web site dedicated to rural ministries.

The site, www.pcusa.org/rural, is intended to support the mission of the Rural Ministries Network, a voluntary association of people throughout the PC(USA) who are involved or interested in rural ministry.

About half of all PC(USA) congregations are in rural areas. The network supports these congregations by advocating for rural ministry, responding to rural issues, providing grants for improving rural community life, and consulting with presbyteries and congregations.

Its new Web site boasts networking and grant opportunities, resources, action items, stories about vital rural congregations, and information about events such as the Wee Kirk conferences sponsored by Presbyterians For Renewal (PFR).

"We are delighted to have this new Web site launched on behalf of the Presbyterian Rural Ministries Network," said Diana Stephen, associate for Network Support and Rural and Small Church Ministries. "We hope that others will access the Web site and our resources in acknowledging the interdependence among rural, urban and suburban people."

There also is background information about Rural Life Sunday, April 30, when the entire church is encouraged to learn about issues facing rural communities and congregations and look for ways to support small farmers and ranchers. The site features Rural Life Sunday worship resources, including suggested activities and a bulletin insert concerning rural ministry.

The site, designed in cooperation with the Internet Services staff in the PC(USA) Office of Communication, went online last week. Stephen and Eva Slayton, a staff member with the Rural Ministries Network, edit and provide content.

The new site also invites church leaders and members to find and access a range of rural ministry-related materials available through The Presbyterian Marketplace.

Among the resources offered:

Living the Vision Rural Ministry: Church and Community - This part of a "how-to" series of booklets focuses on helping congregations and governing bodies discern a vision for ministry in changing rural communities.

We Are What We Eat, a report approved by the PC(USA)'s 214th General Assembly (2002) that calls on the church to get involved in food-production and -consumption issues.

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To unsubscribe, send a blank message to