From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Communicating the Mission at ABCUSA

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:46:11 -0500

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS)- The brand new division involving mission support in the Office of the General Secretary of ABCUSA is taking shape. The combining of Communication and World Mission Support is a critically important decision, and with that action ABCUSA is carving out a new direction for the 21st century. Former senior pastor of First Baptist Church, Kansas City, Missouri, Rev. Dr. Leo S. Thorne, is heading the new office of Mission Resource Development. Dr. Robert H. Roberts, former Associate General Secretary for World Mission Support, commented, "two things thrill me about recent developments in mission support and communication: one is the appointment of Leo Thorne to this ministry, and the other is the strategic alignment of 'telling the story' and 'supporting the mission.' I sense God's hand in all of this." About his new job Thorne said, "When I was called to serve as Associate General Secretary for Mission Resource Development at ABCUSA, I realized that the sum total of all the shaping forces in my life had been preparing me for this moment." Thorne added, "This is exactly where I should be, and it is a privilege to serve our denomination at this time of great challenge and great opportunity." Dr. A. Roy Medley, General Secretary of ABCUSA, stated, "I know Leo to be an excellent communicator and an effective administrator. I look forward to working with him, and I know that his special gifts will strengthen our work." Over the coming months, there will certainly be changes and new initiatives. One change is the departure of Matthew Brown, who worked with various aspects of this evolving office since 2001. Brown, a graduate of Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary, accepted the call as senior pastor of First Baptist Church in Marshall, Michigan. "Matthew's presence and professionalism will be greatly missed in our office," said Thorne. "I pray God's richest blessing on Matt and Beth as they respond to God's call to pastoral ministry." Matt began his ministry in Marshall on March 6, 2006. Speaking of Matt's departure, Dr. Medley said, "Matt offered much to the body of Christ through his gifts and intellect. I look forward," Medley continued, "to how God will use him for the advancement of the gospel and the strengthening of ABC life." In reflecting on his job, Brown said, "I have valued tremendously my time with the office of the General Secretary and working to serve the churches and individuals of American Baptist Churches." He added, "Throughout my time here, Dr. Medley and the Mission Resource Development staff have been supportive and encouraging of both my seminary education and sense of call to pastoral ministry. I am ever grateful for the time I have spent with the national offices of ABCUSA, and I will continue to tell of the great things that God is doing in our denomination." Andy Jayne, formerly of Educational Ministries, is temporarily filling the position on a part-time basis. "We will be looking for the best person to fill this important position," Thorne said. "We are seeking to build a strong and committed team to work with our faithful support staff." As the work develops over the coming months, we can expect several new initiatives to emerge. "We will continue to build on some of our strengths already in place," Thorne said, "and we will be placing on our website helpful articles and positive stories about ABC from our pastors, regional staff and everyday members." Thorne also spoke about keeping information current on the website, about providing additional links to other websites so that we all can be informed about what God is doing in our great denomination, and about bridging the gap between Valley Forge and the local church. "God is mightily at work among us, and we want to get out that good news." No less attention will be given in this new office to the matter of providing education and opportunity for ABC churches and members to support our work in mission. "We have always been a generous people," Thorne said, "and we plan to help our churches respond with new and creative methods to the needs around us. Baptist people want to express their thankfulness and commitment to God for the grace of God at work in our lives. These are critical and difficult days," Thorne added, "but our God is greater than any challenge we face. We covet your support as we all seek to be a people of prayer, purpose and passion."

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/