From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

President George W Bush Welcomes Archbishop to White House, Greek Independence Day

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:07:53 -0500

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA 8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021 Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

For Immediate Release March 28, 2006

President George W. Bush Welcomes Archbishop Demetrios and the Greek American Community to the White House on the Occasion of Greek Independence Day 2006

New York, NY - President George W. Bush warmly welcomed His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America, spiritual leader of 1.5 million Greek Orthodox Christians, and the Greek American community to the White House on March 24, on the occasion of the celebration of Greek Independence Day: A National Day of Celebration of Greek and American Democracy 2006. (Proclamation text attached) Over 100 individuals, including government officials, the Foreign Minister of Greece, Greek and Cypriot diplomats and Greek Americans from throughout the United States attended the ceremony in the Old Executive Office building.

In his opening remarks, Archbishop Demetrios thanked President Bush for signing the proclamation that pays tribute to the historic day of March 25, 1821, which is a symbolic day of the Greek War of Independence, or Greek Revolution, that ended with the liberation of Greece after four bitter centuries under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. He also stated that Greece has been a battleground of armies for millennia but has survived because "?the Greek nation has always been absolutely conscious of having a mission in this world, a mission of serving the highest possible ideals and sharing them with every nation, friend or enemy alike. The awareness and condition of mission explains not only the mere survival, but the Greek nation?s brilliant, most generous universal contributions to the ideals of freedom, human dignity and democracy."

President Bush in his response, welcomed the Archbishop and everyone in attendance and commented on the high number of Greek Americans currently serving in this administration including the Director of National Intelligence, John Negroponte, and the Homeland Security Advisor, Frances Fragos Townsend. He also noted the presence of the Foreign Minister of Greece, Dora Bakoyianni, who was in the United States for a number of meetings, and Senator Paul Sarbanes, the well respected US Senator from Maryland. He also spoke of the need to continue working for democracy. "America's founding fathers were inspired by the democratic ideals, and it helped to form our own union. Those ideals became implanted in long-lasting documents. But, as we watch the world today, we must understand that democracy is difficult at times. It's not easy to take hold. It requires work and diligence and optimism and strength and will. But the Greek lesson not only in Greece, but also here in America, is one that with time and persistence, liberty does take hold because of its universality. It's a lesson we honor on Greek Independence Day."

On the evening of March 23, 2006, the Director of National Intelligence and Mrs. John D. Negroponte hosted a dinner in honor of His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios at the Blair House. In welcoming His Eminence and guests, including the Foreign Minister of Greece, Dora Bakoyianni, Senator Paul S. Sarbanes (D-MD), Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit, members of the government, diplomats and Greek American community, Director Negroponte noted that he too is a proud member of the Greek American community. He continued by stating that, "?between two and three thousand years ago, Greece gave birth to a philosophical style and train of thought that has helped liberate more than half the world?..The inquiring habits of mind of Ancient Greece still underpin the urge of individuals throughout the world to ask the great questions - and in the case of democracy, the biggest questions of all: Why should this or that people be free and not us? Why shouldn?t we, with the same God-given gifts, enjoy similar opportunities to express, better and secure ourselves? How could it be that someone else has rights we do not have?"

Greek Independence Day:

A National Day of Celebration of Greek and American Democracy, 2006

A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America

On Greek Independence Day, we celebrate the proud heritage of Greek Americans, recognize the longstanding friendship between the United States and Greece, and reaffirm our shared desire to spread freedom to people around the world.

Greece is the birthplace of democratic principles, and the story of modern Greek independence demonstrates the power of liberty. On March 25, 1821, Greek revolutionaries declared their independence from the Ottoman Empire after centuries of imperial rule. This bold action began an 11-year war to secure their freedom and gain recognition as a sovereign country. Americans at the time identified with the Greek struggle and provided support to aid the effort. Leaders such as John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison encouraged the Greek cause and supported the desire for a representative government that would ensure liberty and justice for all its citizens, and they offered our Constitution as a model for consideration.

A strong cooperation and friendship has developed between Greece and America, and our Nation has benefited from the contributions of Greek immigrants. The hard work of Greek Americans has made our country stronger and influenced our literature, arts, businesses, politics, education, and entertainment. The faith, traditions, and patriotism of Greek Americans have enriched our society.

The United States and Greece are bound together by common values and a deep desire to protect and extend freedom and peace. On this special occasion, we celebrate our friendship and our commitment to advancing democracy, prosperity, and security.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim March 25, 2006, as Greek Independence Day: A National Day of Celebration of Greek and American Democracy. I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this seventeenth day of March, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirtieth.

GEORGE W. BUSH