From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Storm-tossed Florida church has new building, new lease on life

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:03:32 -0600

Note #9227 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

06191 March 28, 2006

Storm-tossed Florida church has new building, new lease on life

'By God's grace,' First PC of Punta Gorda survives, revives

by Toya Richards Hill

LOUISVILLE - Out of the rubble of Hurricane Charley almost two years ago, First Presbyterian Church of Punta Gorda, FL, has risen anew.

On Sunday, April 2, the congregation - which has been worshipping in borrowed space since the hurricane destroyed their church - will dedicate a new building.

"By God's grace we made it through," said the Rev. Stephen Mock, First church's pastor.

On Sunday, he added, "We are just going to be celebrating and dedicating this building to the glory of God."

Punta Gorda, on Florida's western coast, was one of the towns hit hardest by the August 2004 hurricane. According to CNN, Charley's wind gusts topped 180 miles per hour.

Since then, the 120 to 145 members of First Presbyterian have been worshipping in the fellowship hall at Punta Gorda's Burnt Store Presbyterian Church and trying to decide what to do about its damaged church building.

"It was a very, very difficult time," said Mock.

To rebuild at the same location, which is in a flood zone, would have required tearing down the structure and putting up a new one on higher ground to satisfy building codes, he said: "We were looking at having to completely rebuild from scratch, as well as having to get it (the church) up higher."

Instead, the congregation sold the property and bought a larger tract with an 8,000-square-foot building that Mock said was "pretty well configured already" for use by the church. The first service in the new building was held on March 19.

"In many ways it really is a new beginning," Mock said, noting that the new church is in a "highly visible" part of town near a new housing development.

"We are in an area that is growing," he said. "God did not want us to rebuild where we were."

The Rev. Bob Rea, part-time associate executive presbyter of Peace River Presbytery, applauds the perseverance of the congregation.

"They've come back from the hurricane in amazing ways, with the help of the Holy Spirit," he said. "It's a wonderful congregation."

Rea also pointed out how the larger Presbyterian community helped get First Presbyterian back on its feet.

The congregation had the help of Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, Burnt Store Presbyterian Church, Peace River Presbytery and various other Presbyterian groups," he said.

"This is truly an example of the Presbyterian connectional system working well."

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To unsubscribe, send a blank message to