From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishop Speaks at Interfaith Service, Rally for Just Immigration Reform

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:08:35 -0600

Title: ELCA Bishop Speaks at Interfaith Service, Rally for Just Immigration Reform ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 28, 2006

ELCA Bishop Speaks at Interfaith Service, Rally for Just Immigration Reform 06-050-AL*

WASHINGTON, D.C. (ELCA) -- The Rev. Paul W. Stumme-Diers, bishop, Greater Milwaukee Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), spoke here March 27 during a national, interfaith service and rally for just immigration reform. The event began a week in which the U.S. Senate will discuss proposed immigration legislation that would make some church ministries illegal.

Stumme-Diers joined more than 150 faith leaders from countless religious backgrounds and 35 states on the west lawn of the U.S. Capitol. The service drew more than 3,000 immigration advocates.

"In exercising our faith, in our Lutheran tradition, when standing before civil authorities demanding true reform, true justice, we echo the words of another reformer, Dr. Martin Luther, when we say, 'Here we stand; we can do no other,'" said Stumme-Diers in his remarks at the rally. "Here we stand, as those familiar with the ones adversely impacted by this legislation because they inhabit our pews. Here we stand, as church workers deemed criminals under proposed legislation."

Language in legislation proposed in the U.S. Senate and included in the bill passed in U.S. House of Representatives would criminalize pastors, service workers and faith-based volunteers who provide humanitarian aid to undocumented immigrants.

"In the Greater Milwaukee Synod, we have lots of congregations that work with new immigrant populations," Stumme- Diers said after the rally. "I wanted to be a part of this rally because I'd like to promote a healthy way of welcoming new immigrants, rather than putting onerous obstacles before them that are detrimental to their lives and to our communities."

At the rally, the Rev. Carlos E. Paiva, Angelica Lutheran Church, Los Angeles, represented the Rev. Dean W. Nelson, bishop, ELCA Southwest California Synod, Glendale. Seminarian Sarah Scherschligt, intern, Luther Place Memorial Church, Washington, D.C., also spoke.

"I think immigration is the primary justice issue in the United States right now," Scherschligt said after the rally. "If the church isn't standing with immigrants' rights, we're failing to live out our faith."

Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) was represented by dozens of people at the rally. LIRS is a cooperative agency of the ELCA, Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and Latvian Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

"I'm proud of the work of LIRS, which has been a leader in the faith community on immigration issues," said Stumme-Diers. "I wanted to be here in Washington to support their work and draw attention to the issues on which they advocate."

Following the rally, clergy went to the Capitol to talk with their Senators about immigration reform issues. -- -- --

Information about Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service is at http://www.lirs.org and about the ELCA's advocacy ministries is at http://www.ELCA.org/advocacy on the Web.

* Annie Lynsen is director for advocacy communications, grassroots and network development, ELCA Washington Office.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog