From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan Church and Government Team Up to Help School Dropouts

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:56:27 -0500

Title: Taiwan Church and Government Team Up to Help School Dropouts Taiwan Church News 2822 27 March ¡V2 April 2006 Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong. Written by David Alexander

Chu-tang Presbyterian Church in central Taiwan has established a counseling and support service for middle school dropouts. The project, known as the ¡§Sunflower Team¡¨ serves an inland township in Chang Hwa County. Project staff are young men performing alternative national service who are assigned to the area. As a government- funded project it cannot be specifically religious in nature, but the care and service offered truly manifest the spirit of Christ.

On the afternoon of March 20th the county¡¦s Education Department conducted an in-service training session for the alternative service team members focused on improving the self-confidence of dropouts to keep them off of the streets where they are easy prey for criminal group recruiters. During the training, Rev. Chuang Hsiao-seng, pastor of Chu-tang Church, and Ms Chang Hsu-young, project director, led separate modules.

Rev Chuang told the Taiwan Church News how Chu-tang Presbyterian Church¡¦s profile in the community had been rather low. He said, ¡§Our neighbours didn¡¦t used to permit their children to come into our building.¡¨ But the church set up a neighborhood library and invited students to use its facilities as a quiet place to study. As time passed the problem of dropouts came to the fore, and participation in the Sunflower Team project has made the church something of which the neighbours now boast.

The project serves as a grassroots dropout counseling center, offering instruction in general academic subjects, vocational skills and values. Though the lessons do not include specifically religious content, their principles are in line with biblical faith. Some lessons from the ¡§life education¡¨ curriculum developed by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan are co-opted from time to time. Ms Chang says, ¡§ The life education course is based in faith, and it leads naturally to sharing of the gospel. ¡¨

She points out, ¡§The project also uses community resources beyond those of the alternative service team. The regional education department¡¦s office of school counselors has offered help in understanding the special aspects of dropout counseling. A medical team has led seminars and workshops, and one doctor has strongly affirmed the church for its engagement in community service as an aspect of worship. He said that this is the greatest way of opening its doors.¡¨

As participants in the in-service training sat at table for a noon meal, Mr. Chiou Chun-hsien, their team leader, asked them to be silent and bow their heads while he led them in a prayer of thanksgiving. Of himself, Mr. Chiou said, ¡§I¡¦m not a Christian, but during my time in alternative national service I¡¦ve seen the care for dropouts and other children demonstrated by Christians. Through this I¡¦ve come to appreciate the songs, bible stories and prayers that Christians use. I still don¡¦t understand the stories very well, but I¡¦ve been moved by the atmosphere and really feel good¡¨

For more information: Chu-tang Presbyterian Church hs.chuang@msa.hinet.net Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages. Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw