From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 187-Bishop finds himself 'Back from where I started from.'

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:43:15 -0500

Bishop finds himself 'Back from where I started from...'

Apr. 3, 2006

NOTE: Photographs are available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Denise Johnson Stovall*

DALLAS (UMNS) -- Bishop Melvin G. Talbert may be serving in an administrative role for the denomination's black caucus, but he says it's still part of his spiritual calling as an episcopal leader of the United Methodist Church.

The national meeting of Black Methodists for Church Renewal, March 21-25, was held under the caucus' quadrennial theme, "If We Build It, They Will Come." The focus for the 2006 meeting was "Pathways to Faithful Leadership."

Talbert reminded his constituency during the 39th annual meeting that "the mission of BMCR is to raise up prophetic and spiritual leaders who will be advocates for justice, peace and freedom in the United Methodist Church and society."

"The organization's core values include its legacy; our Wesleyan heritage of vital piety and social holiness; a commitment to the United Methodist connection and a commitment to inclusiveness," he wrote in a letter to the denomination's black Methodists.

Before the meeting, Talbert and the Rev. Vincent Harris of Houston, outgoing chairperson of the caucus' board of directors, sent a letter reminding members and local church pastors of the organization's "commitment to the continuing witness and mission of National BMCR." Individuals and churches were asked to place National BMCR in their annual budgets "to ensure long-term financial stability for years to come."

United Methodists are still surprised

Talbert says United Methodists are still surprised that he has become BMCR's executive director during his retirement. But he doesn't see retirement as "leisure time." The bishop believes a servant leader should always be ready to "pick up the mantle somewhere else."

"I don't expect to stop working in this lifetime," he said with a smile. "I don't ask for these jobs; they always fall in my lap."

Talbert took over the task of revitalizing the caucus at the request of the African American bishops in June 2004. "I sense this as God's call," he said. "I was its first elected secretary and a founding member of BMCR."

When United Methodists ask him if the organization is moving ahead, his answer is "Yes."

"I have a sense it will be resurrected," the bishop said. "Last year this time we were desperate for funds, but my colleague bishops asked, 'Who among us would be the one to do this?' And I did.

"(The National body) didn't have to pay an executive director salary and they didn't have to pay rent with an office at the (United Methodist) Publishing House. But all that has changed. They will be paying me a stipend and they will be paying rent now."

To raise the much needed funds to run the national office at the United Methodist Publishing House in Nashville, Tenn., Talbert created "The Festival of Giving" Campaign. The organization's annual budget is $186,000.

"Black folk are very committed to buying what they want, but begging for what they need. Without constituency support, the future of BMCR will not be financially stable. I would be less than honest if I didn't tell the truth about where we are," the bishop said.

"The 'Festival of Giving' will be a milestone. This will be a public way of manifesting our thanksgiving. All of the board members have paid their assessed dues and have collected donations and pledges within the jurisdictions.

"I think the organization is going to survive because it is needed now more than ever. It will survive because BMCR has to raise up faithful and prophetic leaders who will be advocates for the needs of black people in the United Methodist Church."

Talbert is committed to the body's current programs, but he wants the organization to have programs and resources requested by local African-American United Methodist churches. "I don't want to be a part of anything that they can't take back (home)," he said. "What we do here is not just for our edification."

A strong leader

While the bishop prepared to give his annual state of the caucus address, two members wanted him to address the "renewal" of black Methodists.

The Rev. Alfred S. Maloney, a district superintendent in the Eastern Pennsylvania Annual Conference, said he had been disappointed in the policies and procedures of BMCR over the past decade. He also needed more "state-of-the-art" resources to train his local churches. But now things are getting better, Maloney said.

"I was in South Carolina then I heard Bishop Talbert assure the body that BMCR is on the move," said Maloney of Huntingdon Valley, Pa. "I came to the Dallas meeting because I was impressed by Bishop Talbert when he decided to take the helm of BMCR.

But the question now is, 'What will these people do when he steps down and really retires?'"

The Rev. Monica Jefferson of St. Louis is also concerned that the mission of the organization is not being translated to the African Americans in local churches.

"The local caucus has to pass things down to the local church," said Jefferson, who serves in the Missouri Annual Conference's office of urban and intercultural ministries. "We also need to be sure younger people are involved in BMCR like they used to be."

Talbert said he has learned that most of the 2,400 black United Methodist churches know little about BMCR. "Our story is not being told among our people," he continued, "So what do you say about BMCR when you leave these meetings? What do you say about your mountaintop experience? The trickle-down theory doesn't work any better in the local church than Reaganomics!"

The bishop also encourages BMCR leaders to reach out to youth and young adults. He is excited about restoring youth conferences, such as the BMCR "Youth Harambee," a Swahili word that means, "coming together."

A summer Harambee is scheduled at United Methodist-related Philander-Smith College, Little Rock, Ark., July 12-16. He also wants the board of directors to consider holding national meetings in places that are more affordable to young people.

"We can't continue doing things the way we have in the past," Talbert stressed. "We have to learn to sacrifice on behalf of others. We need to consider having BMCR meetings at a place when people can attend and at a place where people can afford.

"In the long run, we're living in troubling times. Unless we become critical thinkers, we will be left at the starting gate with our complacency. (But) we have the gifts and spirit to do it!"

During the March 24 plenary, members responded to a "love offering" request. Through a "Festival of Giving" similar to an African harvest festival of praise and thanksgiving, James Salley of the Africa University Development Office challenged his fellow members to "give generously."

Participants filed past the head table and ran down the aisles to flag down officers and board members to give their monies during the offering, netting the organization $184,000 in cash, checks and pledges.

"This day, you have made my optimism a reality," Talbert said. "It is not where I want to take us, but we're on the way. Thank you and thanks be to God."

*Stovall is a free lance writer in Dallas.

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.