From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Christian Churches Together in the USA formally organized (Daybook)

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:42:56 -0400

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

April 7, 2006 -- Friday Forum

Christian Churches Together in the USA formally organized March gathering focused on addressing causes of poverty

[ENS] At a March 28-31 meeting at Simpsonwood Conference and Retreat Center near Atlanta, Georgia, 34 churches and national Christian organizations, representing over 100 million Americans, made the historic decision to organize officially as Christian Churches Together in the USA (CCT-USA). CCT is comprised of national leaders from Christian families—Evangelical/Pentecostal, Protestant, Orthodox and Catholic-whose mission is "to enable churches and Christian organizations to grow closer together in Christ in order to strengthen our Christian witness in the world."

Since its inception in 2001, CCT has given priority to prayer and worship, building relationships of trust, and discerning challenges that need to be addressed in society for more faithful Christian witness. At its meeting, the group focused on the issue of poverty in the United States, engaging in biblical reflection and in conversations with those who have experienced poverty as well as those with academic expertise. Affirming that overcoming poverty is "central to the mission of the church and essential to our unity in Christ," participants committed themselves to work together to address the causes of poverty in the United States.

Over the years, a process of mutual engagement, agreement on purposes, and organizational planning has resulted in this new expression of relationships among churches.

"We finally found the courage to confront our obvious and longstanding divisions and to build a new expression of unity, rooted in the Spirit, that will strengthen our mission in the world," affirmed the Rev. Wesley Granberg-Michaelson, general secretary of the Reformed Church in America, who served as interim moderator. "We are filled with excitement, hope and expectation for how God will use this new expression of our fellowship together."

In addition to the 34 participant churches and organizations, eight churches and national organizations were present as observers.

For further information visit www.christianchurchestogether.org