From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AACC] All Africa Conference of Churches is Planning 9th Assembly, Maputo, December 2008

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 11:39:32 -0700

ALL AFRICA CONFERENCE OF CHURCHES

CONSULTATION OF DETHE LEADERS OF AACC MEMBER CHURCHES AND GENERAL SECRETARIES OF COUNCILS OF CHURCHES IN SOUTHERN AFRICA MAPUTO, APRIL 23 TO 25, 2006

PRESS RELEASE

Introduction

The All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC) is meeting in Maputo, Mozambique from 24 - 25 April 2006 to plan for the upcoming 9th Assembly of the AACC that will be held here in Maputo in December 2008. Furthermore the consultation discussed amongst others, the Role of the Churches in the World Social Forum which will be held in Nairobi, Kenya in January 2007 and the challenge of the UN Millennium Development Goals and heir role in the Propose Ecumenical Alliance on Development (PEAD).

The Church believes that the Economy should serve the needs of the people. This is what God meant when He gave human beings stewardship over creation and all the resources therein. The church believes that this is contradicted by the policies and practices in the process of economic globalisation.

We believe that the Church should critically analyse and monitor closely the impact of economic globalisation on the African people and provide alternatives that will benefit the poor and secure their livelihoods.

The meeting decided to focus on the following three issues that should be discussed at the World Social Forum and by the African Churches, Peoples and movements.

Water

We know that investing in water today is more profitable than oil and pharmaceuticals. We are witnessing the unprecedented privatisation of water and other public goods by African governments, at the insistence of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) who are pushing Africa Governments to privatise public assets. This, in our view benefits big Trans-national Water Companies whose primary motives are profits not the provision of public services. It is well documented how privatisation increases use of unclean water which has some times led to outbreaks of cholera, typhoid and other water borne diseases.

We believe that water is life and that every human being has the right to water. Water plays an important role in our religious and cultures practices and livelihoods. It is gross economic injustice for water to be available to irrigate the Golf Course when people along the Rivers cannot draw water for domestic use or to irrigate their farms.

Deforestation and Environment

The Churches are appalled by the economic destruction and environmental impact of most economic activities. In Southern Africa forests are destroyed, natural habitats ruined all in the name of economic development. Deforestation and environmental degradation increase global warming which leads to increases in natural disasters such as cyclones, flooding and droughts.

We believe that humanity should protect the environment and preserve the earth which belongs to the Lord. We believe that economic progress and development should benefit all creation and not destroy what we have. We also believe in preserving natural filter like the wetlands and climate regulators than trusting it to commercial alternatives.

Natural Resources.

The natural resources in Africa have been exploited to benefit a few. Eighty percent of the World's resources are consumed by 20% of the world population. The mineral wealth of Africa has not been used for the benefit a majority of it poor. In a number of African countries people have been forced off their land by extractive oil/mineral even water companies. This is unjust!

We believe governments, communities and the people should be stewards of our resources. We believe we should not produce more than we need and that the resources should be preserve for all humanity not to benefit only the 20%.

Disease

Today we commemorate the International Malaria Day. Millions of people are infected by Malaria, HIV and AIDS and other infectious disease and everyday, thousands die in Mozambique and Southern Africa. We call on the governments to improve prevention, provide medicines and treat the sick and vulnerable.

The All Africa Conference of Churches commended the churches in the SADC region for their commitment not only to help in holding their governments accountable, but also for their direct involvement with the people in development.

We believe Africa can overcome and that a New Africa is possible.

God Bless Africa, guide her children and give her peace.

All Africa Conference of Churches 25 April 2006

Maputo Mozambique

Contact Bishop Dandala on mvume@aacc-ceta.org or Rev Dinis Matsolo on matsoloccm@virconn.com and Tel: 258-21-313-411/322-835/325103.